Brie kit for wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
My first time posting in the cheese forum of HBT. So... hi everybody.

I'd like to get my wife a brie making kit for Christmas. She doesn't have a lot of hobbies (esp compared to me), and we are both pretty into the culinary arts. She also really likes Brie, though our purchasing options for cheese are limited where we live now. Sure makes us miss Wisconsin.

Is there a good off the shelf kit to get started? What are the chances it would produce a good Brie? She's pretty methodical, and we have a ton of temp measurement and control equipment due to cooking and brewing and whatnot.

Any other tips for a first-timer? I've made mozz and ricotta with good results, but Brie seems to be a little more complicated.

Thanks in advance

www.cheesemaking.com is a great place for all cheesemaking supplies. The prices are competitive and the breadth of products is pretty good.

I don't think they have a brie kit. It's not a novice cheese. You'll need several cultures to make the brie. From Artisan Cheesemaking at Home, there are 4 cultures that will ripen this cheese to create a brie.

You'll also need a mold since it's a soft cheese.

This is one of those cheeses that will get moldy on the outside from the penecillium candidum (and possibly geo). In the fridge, it will ripen (bacteria will soften the inside) and get soft over about 6 weeks.

I suggest taking a close look at www.cheeseforum.com and maybe buying that book above. If you make it, make sure to post pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back