Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Another mozz. question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
suckr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another mozz. question

I'm going to attempt to make some quick (30 min) mozz. I have milk known to work (low temp/non homogenized), but I have no citric acid. I do have a bottle of lime juice concentrate (not the little plastic lime). Has anyone used the concentrate in place of the acid? My problem is the label is no longer on the bottle and I'm not sure on the conversion of concentrate to actual juice. Anyone know? Has anyone used the concentrate instead of actual juice? I've also seen where lime juice is more acidic than lemon juice.. Any ideas on quantity?

update: I found a scrap of the label.. it is not concentrate.. its ounce for ounce equal.. The question still stands about quantity though (being that lime juice is more acidic)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
suckr
Recipes 

update #2...

I don't believe cheese making is for me..

At a bit under 1/3c lime juice, you can still taste limes..
I'm hoping that its just the Junket tabs are Junk..
I think I have 9th degree burns on my hands..
Final texture/consistancey = Imagine if you were to try to eat an eraser off the end of a pencil...

It may actually make a decent deep fried cheese smothered in sauce, other than that I think the dogs have a new chew toy..

I may splurge and pick up the 'correct stuff' and give it another shot though - after my hands heal

Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
RushN24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to hear you burned yourself. Do you like farmers cheese sometimes called fromage blanc? It is very simple cheese and very easy to make, maybe that would be a better cheese to experiment with for now. 30 minute mozz is good but the unabridged version is definitely better. Try watching some videos on youtube about how to make various cheese there are some that provide a good insight. I've only made a few, but no hard cheeses, maybe one day I'd like to make a cheddar.

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

-E.A. Poe

Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Citric acid is often available at a grocery store in the canning section, since it's used as a preservative. You can also use a cup of fresh active culture yogurt for the acid, stir in the yogurt and let the milk sit at 90*F for about three to four hours and it will acidify enough to continue on from there as if you added acid. I prefer the culture method over acid myself since it tastes better, it isn't really any more trouble than using the shortcut, it just takes longer.

Everything I have read says don't use the Junket tabs they are ______.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I've heard white vinegar or lemon juice, one of the two, work well.

Homer's Brew Log

Quick Reply