Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > 30 Minute Microwave Mozzarella

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Powdered milk had crossed my mind....I'll look around on there. Thanks!
I made another batch today to use up the other gallon of whole milk. After reading and looking at pictures of Ultra Pasteurized milk during the cheese making process, I am almost certain that even the milk from the local farm is Ultra. It did make some decent cheese but I will be trying the powdered and cream net time.

I found this printed on the instruction page. Not on the website where I thought I had seen it.

DELICIOUS DRY MILK POWDER ALTERNATIVE
Use Powdered milk & Cream when all you can find is the ULTRA Pasteurized. This method is widely used and tastes delicious. When using powdered milk mix enough to make 1 gallon and reconstitute at least 12 hours or overnight.
When preparing to make your mozzarella substitute 1 pint of light or half and half cream (The richer the cream the softer and richer the cheese) for 1 pint of the milk. and follow the same recipe, This method is delicious and often preferred over the whole mail variety. Carnation seems to work quite well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I made another batch today to use up the other gallon of whole milk. After reading and looking at pictures of Ultra Pasteurized milk during the cheese making process, I am almost certain that even the milk from the local farm is Ultra. It did make some decent cheese but I will be trying the powdered and cream net time.

I found this printed on the instruction page. Not on the website where I thought I had seen it.

DELICIOUS DRY MILK POWDER ALTERNATIVE
Use Powdered milk & Cream when all you can find is the ULTRA Pasteurized. This method is widely used and tastes delicious. When using powdered milk mix enough to make 1 gallon and reconstitute at least 12 hours or overnight.
When preparing to make your mozzarella substitute 1 pint of light or half and half cream (The richer the cream the softer and richer the cheese) for 1 pint of the milk. and follow the same recipe, This method is delicious and often preferred over the whole mail variety. Carnation seems to work quite well.

When you're using this method, you mix the milk powder with water like you would regularly, right?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #23
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
When you're using this method, you mix the milk powder with water like you would regularly, right?
Thats the way I take it, you mix up a gallon and let it sit overnight then when your ready to make the cheese you hold back a pint of the milk and add the pint of cream.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Thats the way I take it, you mix up a gallon and let it sit overnight then when your ready to make the cheese you hold back a pint of the milk and add the pint of cream.
Are you going to try this soon? Let me know how it goes... I need to go grocery shopping this weekend, so I'll probably want to give this a try soon.

The only thing is...WHen I was growing up, my mom kept carnation powdered milk on hand in case we got snowed in and couldn't get to the store. I actually liked the taste when it was ice cold...but it didn't taste like "whole" milk, and it had sort of a "grainy" character to it, and definitely little or no fat content. (Of course this was over 30 years ago). I wonder if that's why you add the cream...to add the missing fat and smooth everything out....Interesting!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #25
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

does the milk actually say ultra-pasteurized rather than just pasteurized?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #26
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

It usually just says pasturized

http://www.cheesemaking.com/includes...l#Anchor-11481

http://schmidling.com/milk.htm

Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #27
rpucci
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How much cheese do you get from a gallon of milk?

"The meek shall inherit nothing"

F.Z.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #28
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpucci
How much cheese do you get from a gallon of milk?
1 pound per gallon with most cheeses

Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #29
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

incredible. my aunt gave me this recipe no more than a week ago. the same exact thing....totally got me wanting to make cheese now too!

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0

Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #30
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'm up to two failures now. Yesterday, the milk curdled as soon as I added the citric acid. Turns out the measuring spoons my mom gave me are way off - the 1/4tsp one actually holds more like 1/2 tsp, so you can guess what happened there.

Today, everything went pretty smoothly but the curd was too runny, just like the pictures you see of what happens when you use ultra-pasteurized milk.

I really don't have the patience (or motivation) to keep failing at this while I try all the various brands of milk at the store here... But I may give it one last shot with the dry milk + cream method... So, if you (or anyone else) has good luck with that method I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Quick Reply