Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Are you intimidated by the thought of a decoction mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #21
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

For what it's worth I used Beersmith to plan my last decoction recipe and it completely nailed the numbers. I hit all my step temps right on the money. That was using my igloo ice cube MLT and a small 4 gallon pot for the decoctions. I use a cheapo $1 plastic pitcher that has measurements down the side to pull out the mash, so that it's easy to keep track of my decoction volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1568 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
For what it's worth I used Beersmith to plan my last decoction recipe and it completely nailed the numbers. I hit all my step temps right on the money. That was using my igloo ice cube MLT and a small 4 gallon pot for the decoctions. I use a cheapo $1 plastic pitcher that has measurements down the side to pull out the mash, so that it's easy to keep track of my decoction volume.
I ran it through Beersmith too, and all the numbers roughly jived with Palmer's formula. I'm assuming that because I mash in a kettle, it was temp loss. I expected it and tried to account for it, hence the larger pulls. Glad I did. But the point here is that the actual decoction volumes you need are going to be equipment-specific.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Spintab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually do triple decoctions on pilsners, doubles on hefe's, light and dark, and I always do decoction mash outs. I usually pull thin decoctions to minimize scorching and have never had an issue. If anything my efficiency goes up with all the torturing the grist goes through. I'd bet there isn't much of a difference outside of a maltier and slightly darker beer. I just do them because it lengthens my brew day/zen time and they are fun once you get used to them.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've done it twice and each time I've viewed it as an experiment. Not too concerned with the results more so just getting the process down. That said, my Oktoberfest was great!

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #25
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I did a double decoction on my first-ever Hefeweizen last year (this one), and while it's cool to be able to say I've done one, I don't think I would do it again.

One of the much-debated topics re: decocting is why to bother with it when modern malts are so well modified. One aspect of the debate is the necessity of the protein rest, and my experience actually gave me a side in the debate: my Hef had absolutely terrible head retention, and I'm pretty sure it's because I did an unnecessary protein rest; the purpose of the rest is to break down proteins, and proteins are responsible for head retention. Everything else about the beer (banana/clove taste, mouthfeel, color, turbidity, etc.) was great, but it would lose its head in less than a minute.

I'm going to re-brew the Hef this year and sub in a pound or so of melanoidin malt instead of decocting, to see once and for all whether the poor head retention was a fluke.

-Rich

Kegged: empty | empty
On Deck: Aroma hop experiment ale | Red Rye Ale

Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
And I did an experiment comparing decocted to non decocted beers. The result after a blind tasting was that there was not a preference for the decocted beers. The results start here on pg. 25

http://518124.cache1.evolutionhostin.../DennyConn.pdf

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1568 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
And I did an experiment comparing decocted to non decocted beers. The result after a blind tasting was that there was not a preference for the decocted beers. The results start here on pg. 25

http://518124.cache1.evolutionhostin.../DennyConn.pdf

Ahhh....this was the experiment I referenced earlier. I incorrectly recalled the specifics, but at least I had the overall conclusion right

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Quick Reply