You can't use enough Fermcap-S (anti-foam agent)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started using the stuff on my second brew, I'm brewing #11 tomorrow, and #12 will be all grain. I've never even come close to having a boil over since the first brew without the Fermcap.

You just jinxed yourself. The thing about fermcap, is that it works as long as you don't trust it. Go in and do the dishes=massive boilover. You never have any blowoff if you put a tube on the primary 'just in case'. Put an airlock on after never needing the blowoff tube, though, and you'll be patching the hole in the ceiling. I still use it every batch though. As long as you're within 15 feet of the kettle, and use a blowoff on the primary, fermcap is amazing.

I've got a two year old bottle of the stuff sitting in my fridge, never used it. I should have given it away when the "pay it forward" thread was going.

I've never had a boilover as long as I knock it down with a cold water spray bottle. I could care less if I have a blow-off on my primaries, and I use a stir plate and at least 2/3 vessel headspace on my starter, so those will never foam over.

Cool, you have large equipment. This is why I use it:

For those of you who have good success at it preventing boil overs in 7.5 gal kettles, do you add it before the boil begins to get positive results? My first time using it, I added the dosage on the container once hot break began and still had boil overs like crazy, even after adding more drops.

Just wondering if the trick is to add it before boiling even begins.

I have done it both ways and not noticed a difference. Also, I use fermcap in my keg and carboy washer to prevent the oxiclean from foaming over.

Copied from another forum, and I don't think the author, Denny Conn, would mind me reposting it here.

I've been involved in discussions lately based on FDA warnings about using silicone based Fermcap S in unfiltered beers. While I haven't been able to find the FDA statement, I did fond this from Dana Johnson of Birko. They make a silicone based foam control product similar to Fermcap S. BTW, I've gone to using Fermcap AT, which has no silicone (AFAIK).

"Brewers should not use silicone-containing antifoam for unfiltered beers. The FDA allows active silicone to be used up to 10 parts-per-million (ppm) but stipulates that the silicone must be removed prior to packaging by either filtration or centrifugation. In the case of unfiltered beers, use a food grade, non-silicone antifoam. We sell a food grade, canola oil based antifoam that works well for this purpose and has an added benefit of being yeast-friendly at the same time. Look for my article on antifoams in the brewery in the July/August issue of The New Brewer. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this or any other matter further.

Cheers!

Dana Johnson Brewery Technical Representative BIRKO Corporation Henderson, Colorado www.birkocorp.com:

Copied from another forum, and I don't think the author, Denny Conn, would mind me reposting it here.

I've been involved in discussions lately based on FDA warnings about using silicone based Fermcap S in unfiltered beers. While I haven't been able to find the FDA statement, I did fond this from Dana Johnson of Birko. They make a silicone based foam control product similar to Fermcap S. BTW, I've gone to using Fermcap AT, which has no silicone (AFAIK).

"Brewers should not use silicone-containing antifoam for unfiltered beers. The FDA allows active silicone to be used up to 10 parts-per-million (ppm) but stipulates that the silicone must be removed prior to packaging by either filtration or centrifugation. In the case of unfiltered beers, use a food grade, non-silicone antifoam. We sell a food grade, canola oil based antifoam that works well for this purpose and has an added benefit of being yeast-friendly at the same time. Look for my article on antifoams in the brewery in the July/August issue of The New Brewer. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this or any other matter further.

Cheers!

Dana Johnson Brewery Technical Representative BIRKO Corporation Henderson, Colorado www.birkocorp.com:

I'm assuming that since I use Baby Gas drops, it should be FDA approved??

12 drops in 5 gallons during boil. 2-3 drops for starter. I never use it in the primary, because I almost always use a blowoff.

Back