Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > You can't use enough Fermcap-S (anti-foam agent)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
SavageSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default You can't use enough Fermcap-S (anti-foam agent)

Well... maybe you can, but it's a lot harder than not using enough!

Just made an 1800 ml starter in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask, and only put in three drops/squeezes of Fermcap-S. I figured that would be enough.

FAIL!

Slight boilover, right through my foam stopper, no less. Cleaned up, put in five more drops/squeezes, and brought back to a boil.

Much better.

Please, for the sake of the stove and your sanity, don't skimp on the Fermcap-S!

-Steve

p.s. Did I mention that I really like Fermcap-S?

Planning: n/a

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just bought Fermcap-S and I have to say I love the stuff too. But i havent had any issues with boil over and found that if I use less, it still works great. I did an 1600 ML starter and boiling the wort in a saucepot (I have an electric stove) I put 1 drop in and had no issues at all. Usually I have to cut it down.

I also just brewed a batch and ended up starting with 7 gallons in my 8 gallon brew pot. I only put 6 drops in and it worked great. I still formed a nice hot break on top will about a 1/4in think layer, but no other foaming, even when adding hops.

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 08-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Troubs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fermcap-S is by far my most favorite ingredient. When I do full 6.5 gallon boils in my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer I make sure to add about 3 full droppers. I have heard people use a lot less but I mainly add that much for peace of mind. Plus it isn't that expensive, so what the hell!

Frank Sinatra - “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Lemme tell you a story....

Last friday I did a harvest of Hoegardaan yeast using the dregs of 11 bottles I recapped upon pouring and drinking the beer over a week. On suday I decided to feed it another batch of wort. I have a large earlynmeir flask, but clearly not a large enough flask for the blowoff I got when I came home from vintage baseball sunday evening, even blowing off the tinfoil.

After I cleaned off the outside of the flask and sprayed it ad a fresh piece of foil with starsan I hit the foam coming out of the neck of the flasks with a few drops of fermcap, and the harvest krauzen layed down and played nice...

Awesome stuff to have on hand.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was at Captain Lawrence Brewery and they had like a 1 gallon container of that stuff... I was like hey i use that too!

Then I found out you can get it in up to 25KG containers...

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubs View Post
Fermcap-S is by far my most favorite ingredient. When I do full 6.5 gallon boils in my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer I make sure to add about 3 full droppers. I have heard people use a lot less but I mainly add that much for peace of mind. Plus it isn't that expensive, so what the hell!
3 full droppers???? I don't what the harm in overdosing is, but the directions are usually 2 drops per gallon, and most people get away with 1 drop per gallon without any reduction in performance.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

25 kilograms *might* actually be too much... I don't think I could brew enough in a lifetime to use it all up!

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I believe the problem is silicone is what is used to make the product work. You can ingest silicone in small amounts but its not good to overdose.

We sell the Five Star Defoamer and they say:
Usage: 1-2 drops per gallon. Do not exceed this dosage or your beer will exceed FDA limitations for silicon content.

Forrest

Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I use a single drop in my 1L starters...I can boil like mad with zero chance of boilover. In the kettle, I stick to the 2 drops per gallon...although it's goopiness makes it nearly impossible to measure accurately.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I believe the problem is silicone is what is used to make the product work. You can ingest silicone in small amounts but its not good to overdose.

We sell the Five Star Defoamer and they say:
Usage: 1-2 drops per gallon. Do not exceed this dosage or your beer will exceed FDA limitations for silicon content.

Forrest
But: Directions aside (which can merely be for liability purposes), where is there any evidence that the Fermcap-S is going to be in the finished beer AT ALL? I have read more than one thread that states that the Fermcap-S precipitates (falls out) of the wort or beer completely, whether in boil or fermenter, and is discarded with any trub / sediment. Has anyone seen any authoritative reference on this?

Note: Guess I didn't read the earlier post closely enough, which generates the next question: is the 5-Star defoamer the same product as Fermcap-S?

As for my use of Fermcap-S, 10 drops in a 6.5 - 7 gal boil does the trick, every time. This is a fantastic product for those of us who boil in 30 qt. kettles. I don't make starters, etc., so I can't speak to that application.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Last edited by rico567; 08-06-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply