Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yet another yeast harvesting thread (with pics)... halfway there

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default Yet another yeast harvesting thread (with pics)... halfway there

Experienced yeast washers please inform me. I have the following. In the first picture here I have my first container on the left. I took the trub from one beer (red ale) after racking it and mixed it up with about a liter+ of water. I swirled it and poured in the big doggy treat container (it was sterile). I let that sit overnight in my fridge then I poured the top liquid half into those two mason jars on the left, the golden looking ones. I did the exact same thing with my rochefort clone and the mason jars on the right. Now I don't know what to do. Is this it? Am I done? Do I just make a big starter with two of the jars when I'm ready to brew my next batch? Or, have I screwed up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

here is what I do:

I take a canning stock pot and line it with my mason jars and a big jar, kind of like your doggy treat jar, but not as tall. Put all the lids in there too, and fill 'er up. Boil it for around 20 minutes. Then take out the jars with some tongs, (don't spill any of the water that is in the jars), cover them, and put'em in the fridge for a few hours.

Rack your beer. Take your jars, the big one too, and dump the water into the carboy. Swirl it around and then let everything settle for around 15 minutes to an hour. You don't need to let them sit overnight. then fill your mason jars back up with the water in the carboy, being careful to leave the stuff on the bottom that has settled out. Fill the jars all the way up. Cover them, label and date them, and put'em in the fridge.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 09-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
here is what I do:

I take a canning stock pot and line it with my mason jars and a big jar, kind of like your doggy treat jar, but not as tall. Put all the lids in there too, and fill 'er up. Boil it for around 20 minutes. Then take out the jars with some tongs, (don't spill any of the water that is in the jars), cover them, and put'em in the fridge for a few hours.

Rack your beer. Take your jars, the big one too, and dump the water into the carboy. Swirl it around and then let everything settle for around 15 minutes to an hour. You don't need to let them sit overnight. then fill your mason jars back up with the water in the carboy, being careful to leave the stuff on the bottom that has settled out. Fill the jars all the way up. Cover them, label and date them, and put'em in the fridge.
Does each jar provide enough yeast to make a starter?! If so, that means I can get two starters for each yeast I just harvested? 1 for each jar?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you look at the second photograph, you will see that there are two distinct layers of sediment on the bottom of both jars. The top (lighter) layer is yeast. The bottom (darker) layer is trub.

If you are going to brew within the next week or so, I would leave it as it is.

If you want to keep it for a while, I would leave it in the fridge for a few more days to help precipitate the yeast, discard most of the liquid, and then decant the remaining liquid and light colored yeast into a new sanitized jar with some more boiled and cooled water to remove almost all of the trub.

-a.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
If you look at the second photograph, you will see that there are two distinct layers of sediment on the bottom of both jars. The top (lighter) layer is yeast. The bottom (darker) layer is trub.

If you are going to brew within the next week or so, I would leave it as it is.

If you want to keep it for a while, I would leave it in the fridge for a few more days to help precipitate the yeast, discard most of the liquid, and then decant the remaining liquid and light colored yeast into a new sanitized jar with some more boiled and cooled water to remove almost all of the trub.

-a.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Could be up to 2 months before I use either again. Thanks ajf and berniebrewer

Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
Does each jar provide enough yeast to make a starter?! If so, that means I can get two starters for each yeast I just harvested? 1 for each jar?
You did good, bro..... You got 4 starters......
Keep your yeast in the fridge for up to 3 mo before re-feeding or until used up.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmer
You did good, bro..... You got 4 starters......
Keep your yeast in the fridge for up to 3 mo before re-feeding or until used up.

Funny story, I was at my LHBS and talking to the owner and his brew partner. He was talking to his brew partner about how I'm buying up all his grain. he says almost everyone in town is extract. His partner mentioned that if I started buying up all his yeast too he could expand his business or something along those lines. ANyway, I was quick to inform them I had started harvesting my yeast and they were impressed. They thought it was some crazy difficult task. But, it's really pretty darn simple.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh

Funny story, I was at my LHBS and talking to the owner and his brew partner. He was talking to his brew partner about how I'm buying up all his grain. he says almost everyone in town is extract. His partner mentioned that if I started buying up all his yeast too he could expand his business or something along those lines. ANyway, I was quick to inform them I had started harvesting my yeast and they were impressed. They thought it was some crazy difficult task. But, it's really pretty darn simple.
You'll probably not buy much yeast in the future, only when you need a new strain.
Good Luck........

Old 09-23-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

When I have done it I don't let the mixture sit overnight but rather wait about 15 - 20 minutes and pour off the top liquid. The heavier trub settles the quickest and the yeast is in suspension.

Gary

Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
When I have done it I don't let the mixture sit overnight but rather wait about 15 - 20 minutes and pour off the top liquid. The heavier trub settles the quickest and the yeast is in suspension.
That's the first thing I heard, then I read another article about letting it sit overnight. I was so confused at a certain point that I had to post this thread. So many people contradict each other, or I guess just have different ways of doing it.

Quick Reply