Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast washing vs. yeast harvesting (kraeusen skimming)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
Dogslovebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
Default Yeast washing vs. yeast harvesting (kraeusen skimming)

Which method produces better results?
I would imagine that kraeusen skimming is more prone to infecting the beer, but would would gather a stronger sample. Where yeast washing would safer but less effective. or maybe it doesn't matter, just build up a nice starter.

Thank you

__________________
Dogslovebeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
944play
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,733
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

The only homebrewer I know of who top-crops is Mike McDole. I think he refers to it as "super yeast." He gets his blowoff tube down almost to the beer's surface and the positive pressure of fermentation pushes the kraeusen through.

Washed yeast should be plenty potent if you harvest enough and use it soon.

__________________
OD: ?
Pri:-
Keg: Simple AIPA (2-row, Chinook, Cascade, WLP090)
944play is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

For a single yeast strain, top cropping is probably better only if you can reuse the yeast nearly immediately.

For mixed strains, top cropping is the only way to harvest yeast without getting substantially more of whichever strain is more flocculent each generation.

__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Dogslovebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
Default

This is good stuff guys, I like the super yeast technique and I'll have to try it. Now I brew almost exclusively Hefe Weizen, I heard that the Hefe yeast will only last a couple of generations. is this true, if so about how many generation's?

Thanks

__________________
Dogslovebeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 788
Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Default

I like the 'starter splitting' method, its one of the easiest and best methods I have seen!
When you are making some starter wort with DME or whatever, make it 1.080 instead of 1.040.
Get a bunch of sterilized (boiled) mason jars and leave about a third of your water in.
Add your yeast to your strengthened starter wort, mix it really well, then top off your mason jars until you have enough. Wait a few days and voila, more starters!
Pitch one of your jars of starter into enough wort to get your cell count for your beer ready to go and you are set.

__________________
saq is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
frolickingmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Whatcom County, WA
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslovebeer View Post
I heard that the Hefe yeast will only last a couple of generations. is this true, if so about how many generation's?
I'm really interested in this, as well... I'm planning on washing some 2nd generation Hefe yeast tomorrow!
__________________

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

frolickingmonkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
beerman1957
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sierra Vista AZ, AZ
Posts: 202
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

How many generations of yeast would one get before reaching the EOL of the yeast? Or does that happen. All my genetic classes say there would be a EOL or defective yeast if propagated from the very same strain.

__________________
beerman1957 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
dmorrison
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman1957 View Post
How many generations of yeast would one get before reaching the EOL of the yeast? Or does that happen. All my genetic classes say there would be a EOL or defective yeast if propagated from the very same strain.
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention something. Elsewhere on these forums, I've read that hefe yeasts noticably lose their aroma producing properties after the 4th generation. I'm not sure what EOL means, but I'm guessing it's related to "how many batches can I put a hefe yeast through before it's not really hefe yeast anymore".
__________________
dmorrison is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdMerican's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 362
Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention something. Elsewhere on these forums, I've read that hefe yeasts noticably lose their aroma producing properties after the 4th generation. I'm not sure what EOL means, but I'm guessing it's related to "how many batches can I put a hefe yeast through before it's not really hefe yeast anymore".
If that is the case, how would the yeast "manufacturers" breed them? Not to sound like a smarta$$, as I will be the first to admit I am completely ignorant in the ways of the yeasts. (I take the 15th century trappist monk approach short of calling it simply "god is good") It does, however, occur to me that in order to keep a yeast strain pure one must cultivate it from something of an original, shall i say, "blood line". So it makes sense to me that a hefe, belgian, english, american lager, etc. has been duped over and over from much older cells to obtain the same yeast essentially, over many batches. It is hard for me to believe that the "manufacturers" just will a particular yeast strain to grow and put it in a pouch or foil packet. Am I completely off base here?
__________________
E2 Brewing CoOp Est. 2010


"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...
EdMerican is offline
Finnagann Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
bbbblaine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMerican View Post
If that is the case, how would the yeast "manufacturers" breed them? Not to sound like a smarta$$, as I will be the first to admit I am completely ignorant in the ways of the yeasts. (I take the 15th century trappist monk approach short of calling it simply "god is good") It does, however, occur to me that in order to keep a yeast strain pure one must cultivate it from something of an original, shall i say, "blood line". So it makes sense to me that a hefe, belgian, english, american lager, etc. has been duped over and over from much older cells to obtain the same yeast essentially, over many batches. It is hard for me to believe that the "manufacturers" just will a particular yeast strain to grow and put it in a pouch or foil packet. Am I completely off base here?
This is a good question and something I have wondered, too. I know that yeast can occur naturally and could be found in the air and on plants/fruits... But where would the original source of a particular yeast strain (like the american hefe) be?
__________________
bbbblaine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's 98EXL General Techniques 15 09-06-2011 05:55 PM
Harvesting/Washing Yeast from Rauchbier? Evan! General Techniques 3 08-06-2008 06:52 PM
Skimming kraeusen from a lager tinydancer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 07-18-2008 07:03 PM
Skimming fermenting yeast? BlendieOfIndie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 09-27-2007 05:06 PM
Skimming the Kraeusen Baron von BeeGee General Techniques 7 04-25-2006 07:23 PM