Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast washing vs. yeast harvesting (kraeusen skimming)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
Dogslovebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast washing vs. yeast harvesting (kraeusen skimming)

Which method produces better results?
I would imagine that kraeusen skimming is more prone to infecting the beer, but would would gather a stronger sample. Where yeast washing would safer but less effective. or maybe it doesn't matter, just build up a nice starter.

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The only homebrewer I know of who top-crops is Mike McDole. I think he refers to it as "super yeast." He gets his blowoff tube down almost to the beer's surface and the positive pressure of fermentation pushes the kraeusen through.

Washed yeast should be plenty potent if you harvest enough and use it soon.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

For a single yeast strain, top cropping is probably better only if you can reuse the yeast nearly immediately.

For mixed strains, top cropping is the only way to harvest yeast without getting substantially more of whichever strain is more flocculent each generation.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Dogslovebeer
Recipes 

This is good stuff guys, I like the super yeast technique and I'll have to try it. Now I brew almost exclusively Hefe Weizen, I heard that the Hefe yeast will only last a couple of generations. is this true, if so about how many generation's?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
saq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

I like the 'starter splitting' method, its one of the easiest and best methods I have seen!
When you are making some starter wort with DME or whatever, make it 1.080 instead of 1.040.
Get a bunch of sterilized (boiled) mason jars and leave about a third of your water in.
Add your yeast to your strengthened starter wort, mix it really well, then top off your mason jars until you have enough. Wait a few days and voila, more starters!
Pitch one of your jars of starter into enough wort to get your cell count for your beer ready to go and you are set.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslovebeer View Post
I heard that the Hefe yeast will only last a couple of generations. is this true, if so about how many generation's?
I'm really interested in this, as well... I'm planning on washing some 2nd generation Hefe yeast tomorrow!

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
beerman1957
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How many generations of yeast would one get before reaching the EOL of the yeast? Or does that happen. All my genetic classes say there would be a EOL or defective yeast if propagated from the very same strain.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
dmorrison
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman1957 View Post
How many generations of yeast would one get before reaching the EOL of the yeast? Or does that happen. All my genetic classes say there would be a EOL or defective yeast if propagated from the very same strain.
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention something. Elsewhere on these forums, I've read that hefe yeasts noticably lose their aroma producing properties after the 4th generation. I'm not sure what EOL means, but I'm guessing it's related to "how many batches can I put a hefe yeast through before it's not really hefe yeast anymore".

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention something. Elsewhere on these forums, I've read that hefe yeasts noticably lose their aroma producing properties after the 4th generation. I'm not sure what EOL means, but I'm guessing it's related to "how many batches can I put a hefe yeast through before it's not really hefe yeast anymore".
If that is the case, how would the yeast "manufacturers" breed them? Not to sound like a smarta$$, as I will be the first to admit I am completely ignorant in the ways of the yeasts. (I take the 15th century trappist monk approach short of calling it simply "god is good") It does, however, occur to me that in order to keep a yeast strain pure one must cultivate it from something of an original, shall i say, "blood line". So it makes sense to me that a hefe, belgian, english, american lager, etc. has been duped over and over from much older cells to obtain the same yeast essentially, over many batches. It is hard for me to believe that the "manufacturers" just will a particular yeast strain to grow and put it in a pouch or foil packet. Am I completely off base here?

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...
Finnagann Likes This 
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
bbbblaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMerican View Post
If that is the case, how would the yeast "manufacturers" breed them? Not to sound like a smarta$$, as I will be the first to admit I am completely ignorant in the ways of the yeasts. (I take the 15th century trappist monk approach short of calling it simply "god is good") It does, however, occur to me that in order to keep a yeast strain pure one must cultivate it from something of an original, shall i say, "blood line". So it makes sense to me that a hefe, belgian, english, american lager, etc. has been duped over and over from much older cells to obtain the same yeast essentially, over many batches. It is hard for me to believe that the "manufacturers" just will a particular yeast strain to grow and put it in a pouch or foil packet. Am I completely off base here?
This is a good question and something I have wondered, too. I know that yeast can occur naturally and could be found in the air and on plants/fruits... But where would the original source of a particular yeast strain (like the american hefe) be?

Quick Reply