New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Washing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast Washing Question

So I followed the sticky'd yeast washing guide above yesterday for the first time and saved 2 pint bottles of WLP002 yeast. My question is, how bad is it if there's still some trub in the yeast bottles? I followed as above, but I'm sure it's not completely clean. How much of a negative effect does this really have?

Also, I didn't boil my water before adding it to the primary and swirling. I also just sanitized several plastic bottles with Iodopher and filled those up. Will they still be okay?

Last edited by Brett3rThanU; 01-27-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It would be fine, except for the non-boiled water ...not sure I would want to take a chance..

You will probably be OK, but in future, use pre-boiled water just to be safe. After all, those yeast do all the heavy lifting, right ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The boil also removes oxygen from the watter. It's probably important for long term storage.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So what is the point in boiling the water other than to remove oxygen? I plan to use the yeast in the next week so I don't need it for long term storage. How can I tell if the yeast is bad right now? Should I just buy some? I'd rather not risk a batch of beer with bad yeast over $5.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
So what is the point in boiling the water other than to remove oxygen?.
Sterilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
How can I tell if the yeast is bad right now?
I would assume that if the batch of beer that came off it is okay, there hasn't been any comprimisation of the yeast quality. If you're going to use the yeast soon, there is little reason to wash, as i understand it. The point is to clean it up & remove the trub for long-term storage.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

One thing i noticed in this forum is that it's seemingly populated with experts who look like they are into contests and professional brewing for the most part, so it's no wonder if most of the techniques here seem overkill to amateur people like me.

And im sure their results must be top notch and amazing compared to mine.

And As far as sanitation is concerned, i couldn't argue about anything said on here, but saving yeasts?
know what i do?

I pre wash and sanitize a couple of bottles a small spoon and a little funnel on the day i know i'll be transfering to carboy or secondary if you prefer, then when this is done, i pick what is left at the bottom of the primary using the spoon, funnel in the bottle, i take everything in there from the very bottom and i make sure i get some liquid as well until i reach a good two inches of that mud into the bottle, then i cap these bottles and off to the fridge they go.

Always worked very nicely for me, just the other day i used one of these bottles which was sitting there for about 6 months and the starter worked perfectly fine using it.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Last edited by Stef1966; 01-28-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can use the washed yeast to make a simple starter. Check for krauzen/fermentation activity & you'll know you've got viable yeast. That's kind of the whole point of washing yeast right ?.... save the 5 bucks for other stuff.

If you boil the water & put the yeast into a dormant state, you're going to get better viability for a longer time.... allowing you to keep using the same strain over a longer period. You can also stretch out the generations by saving yeast from the first washing, vs. washing yeast from future generations on each subsequent batch.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another ?, if I rack off my brew into a secondary and leave a 1/4" of liquid on top can I cover it and wash it later, say a week?

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebrew View Post
Another ?, if I rack off my brew into a secondary and leave a 1/4" of liquid on top can I cover it and wash it later, say a week?
I've done this before; just be mindful of your temps. Keep it cool (somewhere in the 50s).

Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up pitching the bottles I had in my fridge to be safe. Even after 4 days the water was still very dark with only a tiny layer of stuff on the bottom. I've switched gears and am using a package of US-05 I have in my fridge instead.

Quick Reply