Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Trek: Generations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
5gBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Trek: Generations

There have been a lot of threads on reusing yeasts, and yeast cakes. I recently had the opportunity to go to one of our very successful local micro breweries. Talking with one of the brewmasters, the subject of yeast came up. He told me that on average they reuse yeast strains up 19 times.

I thought that sounded a little excessive, but their beers are excellent, and quite consistant in flavor, so something must be alright with doing that.

Personally, I've only reused yeast up to a 2nd generation. I'm into reusing yeast, but just haven't had the opportunity to go beyond a 2nd gen. I'm going to push it to 3rd to 4th gen. with my next few IPA/IIPAs.

So... what do you guys think about reusing yeast up to 19 times?

5gB

Primary 1: The Astronomer: An Imperial Stout
Primary 2: NA
Secondary 1: Potion #6: An Irish Stout
Bottled/Conditioning:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Bottled/Drinking:
Up Next:
- undecided

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Seems excessive to me too. I have gone 3 generations with no problems.

It seems to me like the safe way to get more uses out of a single vial (or smack pack) would be to initially break it up into three or so parts, grow them in three starters, and save two for later. Use the first one three times, then the second three times then the last one three times.

You get nine batches out of a $6.50 package of yeast ~$0.72 per batch not including the cost of starters.

- magno

Old 05-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

A brewer (pub) I know probably is in the range of 20 times as well. Key thing for them though is they're moving it out of those conicals directly into storage without ever touching o2. He nabs about 3g worth of yeast and it goes right into a corny keg and then off the the fridge.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I remember reading somewhere that one brewery in Belgium has been using the same yeast for over 150 years... ...over and over again...

Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I remember reading somewhere that one brewery in Belgium has been using the same yeast for over 150 years... ...over and over again...
See, that's crazy. We must be missing something here. Well I'm taking the plunge. I'm going to make IPA after IPA on the same yeast as many times as i can (ie. until things start tasting strange i suppose).

Primary 1: The Astronomer: An Imperial Stout
Primary 2: NA
Secondary 1: Potion #6: An Irish Stout
Bottled/Conditioning:
Bottled/Drinking:
Up Next:
- undecided

Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gBrewer
See, that's crazy. We must be missing something here. Well I'm taking the plunge. I'm going to make IPA after IPA on the same yeast as many times as i can (ie. until things start tasting strange i suppose).
Thank you 5gBrewer! I just sent this idea to BasicBrewing Radio in the hopes they'd do this experiment. I feel too inexperienced to be able to do a really consistent recipe 5+ times clean/exact that would have the ability to show yeast flaws from too many generations. I think you'll get 10+ at least w/o problems and will probably get more, if you keep going.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are adding a relatively small amount (say 3 gallons as mentioned earlier) to a brewpub size batch of beer, I would think it would be fine. If you took a cup of your sludge out of every primary (which would be way overpitching anyway) you wouldn't really be transferring that much nasty crap into your new wort and it will work fine.

Yeast is a budding organism, a new yeast cell buds off an old one and leaves a scar, yes, once an 'old' cell buds off hundreds of new cells, it is basically not viable any more, but it has created 100 new cells with no scars which can each create 100 more cells, etc.

I doubt very much that the genetic mutation rate in beer yeast growing in a 'healthy' environment (water, sugar, alcohol) is high at all, and most likely, any mutations picked up in a cell would not be evolutionarily advantageous, and that cell would not replicate as fast as normal ones.

Think about bread, there are bakeries that mix in a little dough from previous batches with new ones, and have been doing this for decades.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13
snip...

Think about bread, there are bakeries that mix in a little dough from previous batches with new ones, and have been doing this for decades.

Isn't that what makes San Francisco sour dough bread special? They've been using the same sour dough yeast since it was first discovered.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think the biggest concern we have is the chance of introducing other strains and bacteria and has very little to do with the original yeast mutating. For this reason I agree it's far better to split a known pure culture and propagate rather than doing it in a linear fashion like pitching on yeast cakes indefinitely. When I collect slurry out of primaries, I label really well so that I can discard it if I sense any off flavors in the batch of beer it came from.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

How do the yeast labs keep a strain alive? They have to keep resuing it over and over, right?

Another q: how long can it stay in the fridge? Is it possible for me to dry it for long term storage?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply