Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > yeast starter size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
scohop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast starter size

I used the calculator on mrmalty.com to find a good yeast starter size for my brew, and it said I needed an 8liter starter.

What does that mean? (I know that sounds like a dumb question). Does that mean I need to add 8 liters of starter wort to my beer when pitching (that seems like an awful lot of non-recipe wort to add into a fermenter...)?

thanks,
scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd say you never need more than 1 litre for normal brews.
But I never use one so what do I know.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
kvh
Recipes 

I use a quart milk bottle to make mine, and don't even top off the thing. Basically, I believe if you can get it bubbling for a few hours before it goes into the fermenter, you're in good shape.

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's over 2 gallons of starter? How big is your batch?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanna know what in god's name you're brewing that you got to have 8 liters of yeast starter, i was just messing around and got 1.212 as the OG of something that would need 8 liters... You shouldn't need 8 liters... i use a 2 quart container and never fill it more than halfway...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts

Aside from the issue of why one would need 8L of starter, I would guess that nobody would ever actually pitch that whole thing into their wort. For big starters, it is almost a necessity that you crash chill the starter after it is fermented, get the yeast to settle out, decant, and pitch just the slurry. Is that what everyone else does?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
scohop
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
I wanna know what in god's name you're brewing that you got to have 8 liters of yeast starter, i was just messing around and got 1.212 as the OG of something that would need 8 liters... You shouldn't need 8 liters... i use a 2 quart container and never fill it more than halfway...
The (target) OG was 1.103 in 6 gallons. I hit about 1.090 in 6.5. Note the sliding bar on the bottom that determines how many vials of liquid yeast you're pitching.

So I wonder: does anyone actually pitch the "right" amount for big beers? Or, do you guys pitch the "right" amount for *any* beers?

I find it hard to believe anyone would put 8liters of starter into a big beer. I must not understand something here.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts

I doubt anyone makes an 8L starter. Instead, most (myself included) brew up a low gravity beer (like a mild), and pitch the higher gravity wort on the yeast cake.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Aside from the issue of why one would need 8L of starter, I would guess that nobody would ever actually pitch that whole thing into their wort. For big starters, it is almost a necessity that you crash chill the starter after it is fermented, get the yeast to settle out, decant, and pitch just the slurry. Is that what everyone else does?
You're 'suppose' to supposedly... lol, that sounds funny... I personally just pitch all of the liquid just before fermentation dies down in the starter (AKA just before it starts to clear)...

Quick Reply