Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast starter questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
greggor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter questions

I have a few questions regarding yeast starters
1 I am making a few starters for Wyeast london Ale 1968
So I bought this Crosby & Baker Yeast nutient and I want to add it to my 2 liters of 1.038 starter made from DME if I add it while the starter wort is at about 120 F will it kill the nutrienrts. I am waiting for the wort to cool to 60 F before I pitch the yeast but already added the nutrient not thinking beforehand if the heat would destroy the nutrients Also I have no idea what this brand of nutrient contains as there is nothing on the label as far as contents.
2 The DME I used was probably 10 years old tastes fine so I'm not really worried boout using it it kinda turned intoa solid chunk of extract but I boiled it for 40 mins and all seems OK. Should I be worried about using 10 year old extract to make my starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Couevas

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would be a lot more worried about the Clinton-Administration DME than the yeast nutrient. The nutrients contain no live elements and are not affected by heat. Most people add their nutrient 10 minutes before flameout (or when you add your DME when brewing up a starter).

You will know in a few days how your DME is going, but I think it will probably be fine as well. It may have some funky, stale flavors, but you are just making a starter. I am sure the yeast will eat it up just fine.

"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill----brilliant man

Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry to hijack- but my question fits well under this thread.

Is it okay to chill a starter that is still actively fermenting? In order to get the yeasties to drop out so I can decant?

Last edited by nutcase; 03-22-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
greggor
Recipes 

Yes perfectly OK to chill a starter to get the yeast to flock out

Quick Reply