The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
spacebarcowboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter question

Hey all! I was gonna make a yeast starter today. This is the first time I have made a starter, and also I don't have a lot of my homebrew equipment here (including scale and hydrometer). I have a couple questions.

1. This starter is for an ESB but I was gonna use dried wheat extract, cause that is all I have around since the mice got in all my other extract (see my previoius post). I assume this won't make a difference though, since it is just a starter.

2. Since I don't have a scale or hydrometer here, how much dried extract would you guess I would use (in cups) for say 1 Liter of starter?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

spacebarcowboy,
I use 1/2 cup of malt extract in 900-1000ml. I earate aggressively and keep at room temp. then swirl solution regularly, (several times a day). After a day or so I will step it up again if I have time before the brew session. It is preferable to use malted barley extract when making a starter but the wheat will be o.k. I have used corn sugar as a starter in the past with no ill consiquences. There is some science to support the need for using malted barley in a starter for better yeast attenuation in the wort.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

I use 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups water and if I need a bigger starter, I just double it. That gives you a starter wort of about 1.040, perfect for a starter.

I've never used wheat DME in a starter (I HATE wheat beer!) but since wheat DME is about 35% wheat/65% barley anyway, I don't see any problem with it.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
spacebarcowboy
Recipes 

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
spacebarcowboy
Recipes 

As I said...this is my first starter. This morning, I checked on the starter, after about 15 hours, and there is no sign of any activity. The yeast seemed settled on the bottom of the flask. Is this bad? There does not appear to be any activity. Am I just impatient as usual, or is this a bad sign about the yeast?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Starters are so small that you don't typically see much activity. Swirl it around every time you walk by it, to resuspend the yeast, just in case it's not finished up.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I've never used wheat DME in a starter (I HATE wheat beer!)
That's like saying one hates kittens and rainbows! :-)

I would think that if the OP decants the used starter wort that very little wheat malt nature would make its way into the finished beer.

Once I made a starter for Apfelwein out of wort (it was a 3068 culture that didn't want to ramp up in applejuice for some reason). I decanted off as much wort as possible and there are no beer notes in the finished product.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Hodawg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
(I HATE wheat beer!)
Not meaning to start a fight here, 'cause everybody has their personal preferences, but I agree with Yooper. At least MY number one Man Rule is "no fruit in beer", then "no wheat in beer". I'm an Irish beer kinda guy, so the wheats just don't fit my taste buds.
Beers,
Ken

"Never mind Doc, he's drunk." - Wyatt Earp
"Nonsense, I've not yet begun to defile myself." - Doc Holliday

Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
spacebarcowboy
Recipes 

Yeah, I like wheat in general, but this starter is actually for an ESB, so it's definitely out of place. However, I doubt my taste buds will be able to detect the difference. That said, I will probably try to decant what I can.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
spacebarcowboy
Recipes 

The main thing I am concerned about is my yeast...I assume it is viable, even though I still have seen no activity or anything. I was expecting it to behave more like when you proof yeast for bread or something to make sure it is alive.

Quick Reply