Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Starter in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
meyers.markg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Yeast Starter in primary?

Ok so I have been slightly annoyed by the ways I have to create yeast starters. I started by aiming my innculated wort into the tiny hole of a 22oz bottle (annoying as hell). Then I purchased a growler from New Belgium (considerably easier), but still a consideralable amount of aiming was necessary (plus I can only do a 1-1.5 quart starter). But can anyone explain to me why we just don't throw 1-3 Liters of wort into a sanitized primary and innoculate? Does too much air cause a problem? Has anyone done an experiment? I've never heard anyone say this was a bad idea? Is it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyers.markg View Post
Ok so I have been slightly annoyed by the ways I have to create yeast starters. I started by aiming my innculated wort into the tiny hole of a 22oz bottle (annoying as hell). Then I purchased a growler from New Belgium (considerably easier), but still a consideralable amount of aiming was necessary (plus I can only do a 1-1.5 quart starter). But can anyone explain to me why we just don't throw 1-3 Liters of wort into a sanitized primary and innoculate? Does too much air cause a problem? Has anyone done an experiment? I've never heard anyone say this was a bad idea? Is it?
I do this all the time and there is no problems at all. I brew only 12 gallon batches and when I make a lager I make 2 to 3 gallons of starter and save some in Canning jars too. Lagers are really good and if you have the cooler space you can have plenty to share and enjoy. I use sanitized foil to cover the carboy and put a rubber band around the neck so it won't blow off so easy.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are many ways to make a starter. The way you suggested will work just fine. I probably wouldn't pour all the wort from the starter carboy into the batch because it is likely to be oxidized. But, oxygen is good in a starter, it's what makes the yeast replicate quickly.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

After the yeast start to replicate there is so much CO2 that the oxygen gets pushed out the top of the carboy.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)

Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
meyers.markg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default this might be elementary

What size of a starter should one start decanting the young beer off the yeast? Or is the effect on the taste minimal?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If the beer is a pale or an amber and you need the liquid just pitch yeast liquid and all. It is so small as compared to the brew that it is not noticable in taste. Decant the starter if you want no taste effect from the yeast starter liquid or are using yeast from a previous dark beer.

Cheers,
WBC

Quick Reply