Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast starter or not??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #11
archmaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Second time I used a starter and I was glad that I did.

I am not an expert (far from it!) but I layed out my vial of WLP002 out in the morning wrapped in a towel, so it would warm up gradually.

Got home late that night, go my starter ready to go, shook my vial and looked at it and looked good. Opened and when I went to dump it into the starter it was a pretty solid plug of yeast. Couldn't tell it while it was in the vial, because some of it did dissolve.

Well with the use of a starter and stirplate it broke up the "chunk" and 5 hours after I put my starter into primary I had fermentation.

What did the starter do, reduce my worry. I knew I had time, I knew that if I had not used a starter and had put that chunk in the primary, and then have a slow start on the fermantation I would have worried.

I liked knowing having to worry about one less thing at the end of a 4-5 hour brew cycle is nice.

I am prepared to meet my maker, however, I am not sure that my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me. -Churchhill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #12
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm planning on brewing up my second batch soon. An IPA made with WLP041, pacific ale yeast. I'm not sure what the O.G. will be yet, since it is a custom 5 gallon recipe. Some people have said that they will use starters if it is at all a liquid yeast, but the White Labs folks say the yeast should be good as is until an O.G. of 1.060 or more.

Should I make a yeast starter with this? As it is only my second batch, it definitely seems like there is a lot to learn and experience, and this adds to all that. Alternatively, if people feel like a starter is needed, could I just pitch two vials instead of one? Also, with starters I've heard that you can over pitch. If the W.L. vial is made for 5 gallons, wouldn't a starter end up over pitching?

My last batch was with WLP001, no starter, and the ferment did take a while to start and take a while to finish.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
Pugilist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

To add some more to the argument of making starters. I made my first starter on sunday and pitched it today at 2pm into my SNPA clone. There is a solid 1-2inches of krausen on the surface already and the bubbler is going about every 4-8secs.

That is more proof that a starter helps the beer take off fast and healthy! Thanks to the help from the folks on this forum as usual for guiding.

Forgot to add I used Wyeast american ale 1056. Packaged on 1/22/08, so was VERY fresh.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugilist
To add some more to the argument of making starters. I made my first starter on sunday and pitched it today at 2pm into my SNPA clone. There is a solid 1-2inches of krausen on the surface already and the bubbler is going about every 4-8secs.

That is more proof that a starter helps the beer take off fast and healthy! Thanks to the help from the folks on this forum as usual for guiding.

Forgot to add I used Wyeast american ale 1056. Packaged on 1/22/08, so was VERY fresh.
Well that gives me some hope. I created a starter on Saturday night with the intention of brewing Sunday night. Needless to say, I wasn't able to brew until today. I'm going to start in about 1/2 hour.

*crosses fingers*

Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why not always make a starter, they are cheap and easy to do, they ensure the yeast you pitch is new and healthy and active and you wont get any problems with fermentation.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Right now I'm planning on making a big starter so I can save off some yeast. Something like what is described at http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/liquid_yeast.htm

It says to use about a half gallon of wort. Does that mean I want to boil about 2 cups of DME into the water? Is that about the proper ratio?

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's an imperial gallon (20% larger than a US gallon). The correct ratio is up to 100g per liter (1/2 an imperial gallon is 2.275L)
I say up to because some people prefer to make lower gravity starters, fwiw I use the above ratio to produce roughly a 1040 wort.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAB
That's an imperial gallon (20% larger than a US gallon). The correct ratio is up to 100g per liter.
Damn non-metric measurements...

So for half a US gallon of water I want to add about 189g (0.416 lbs) of DME? I think my math is OK for that.. Anyway, sounds like fun. I'll be making 5 gallon batches. If memory servers, most people are pitching starters that are around a pint to a pint and a half in size for that?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #19
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You want to keep the same volume as Jim and up the dme so thats about 1/2lb per 4.8 us pints (it wont hurt if you go for 5pts)

(I wont be offended if someone checks my math )

Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #20
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Alright, I can live with a 1/2 lb per 5 pints. Sounds good.

Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply