Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Starter in an Erlenmeyer Flask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #21
mykayel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

They make "glass beads" http://www.labdepotinc.com/c-72-glass-beads.php that you can put in the bottom of your flask; they provide an "initiation" point for the liquid to boil. One of the problems with flasks is that they are very very smooth. Water needs a point to form bubles as it boils, if it doesn't, it quite litterally forms huge bubbles as it transitions from the liquid to gas state, which makes boil overs a big pain. I use both the glass beads and Fermcap and I don't have any issues with boilover any more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
its funny my mother in law told me a story today about how she blew up a flask she put on her gas stove. She said it just popped and made a mess, didn't explode though. funny coincidence. anyways I looked it up again offsite and did confirm its not the best idea...found this too...http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?m...220e7afad21767
I'm not gonna argue with facts. Maybe a bunsen burner is very low heat. I distinctly remember heating flasks in the lab. I use a trivet nonetheless.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
swankyswede
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a large measuring cup to dissolve the DME, which has a handy spout for pouring into the flask. As for boilovers, you can either use the boiling beads mentioned above, or somehow put some scratches in the bottom of the flask to create initiation sites.

Quick Reply