Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Starter in an Erlenmeyer Flask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
MikeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've been boiling in a separate pot then pouring the wort into the flask. When boiling directly in the flask I'd use a funnel and pour small amounts and shake the crap out of the flask so that it would dissolve quicker.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Teflon-coated magnets.
Well, yes, but the magnets themselves are probably ceramic. I don't boil mine, just to be safe.
squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
RedGlass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew View Post
I've also read from a few different sources that people also add hops to a starter for anti-septic qualities. Anybody think that is really necessary?...
Waste of hops.

Follow up question, though: what are some methods for avoiding boilovers in a flask aside from fermcap? I am always boiling over when I boil in the flask...

Old 07-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
Well, yes, but the magnets themselves are probably ceramic. I don't boil mine, just to be safe.
Yep, but I have done it over and over and they have yet to demagnetize. The day they do, I'll buy a new one. Hasn't come up yet.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGlass View Post
Waste of hops.

Follow up question, though: what are some methods for avoiding boilovers in a flask aside from fermcap? I am always boiling over when I boil in the flask...
I add the DME first and then add water, slowly and stirring vigorously, until I have the proper starter volume. It was a bit of a pain the other day because our water has been very aerated. But I had no clumps because I took my time. I also added 1/4 tsp. yeast nutrient. As far as boil overs go I just keep my heat low and once it gets to a more vigorous boil I lower the heat, even take it off the burner for a minute. But I kept it slow and watched it like a hawk.

I would like to try fermcap though.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hmmm...wondering why people add DME, stir well, then heat it all up. I usually just add DME (as 944 does: measure on a sheet of paper then curl into a funnel), add water, then put on stove. As it's heating it always seems to mix itself up fine. By the time it boils it's always a pretty uniform mixture.

Seems like it just eliminates a step. But maybe I'm missing something?

Oh yeah, and Fermcap+low temps usually work for me. But I still get the occasional boil over. Might have to move to a larger flask.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

are you putting direct flame on the flasks? i have read this should not be done ever, even though they are boro silicate glass or whatever? i wanted to do it this way but from what i read they can spontaneously explode even if most of the time they won't. anyone confirm or deny?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Actually most flasks are designed for direct flame in the lab. Like a bunsen burner. It's the coils on electric stove eyes that are not good, without a trivet underneath.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #19
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

its funny my mother in law told me a story today about how she blew up a flask she put on her gas stove. She said it just popped and made a mess, didn't explode though. funny coincidence. anyways I looked it up again offsite and did confirm its not the best idea...found this too...http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?m...220e7afad21767

Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #20
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Hmmm...wondering why people add DME, stir well, then heat it all up. I usually just add DME (as 944 does: measure on a sheet of paper then curl into a funnel), add water, then put on stove. As it's heating it always seems to mix itself up fine. By the time it boils it's always a pretty uniform mixture.

Seems like it just eliminates a step. But maybe I'm missing something?

Oh yeah, and Fermcap+low temps usually work for me. But I still get the occasional boil over. Might have to move to a larger flask.
I just figure it reduces the chance of clumps stuck on the bottom and I was worried they would scorch the bottom. It was a bit extra work but not too bad.

Quick Reply