Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Starter for 20 gal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
pjkutah12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Starter for 20 gal

I am going to make my first 20 gallon batch of Porter and I am looking for the best way to build up my starter. I typically split batch into 4-5 gallon using different strains and building starters with 4 different strains but this time I want to do one beer of 20 gallons. I have 2 stir plates. Is it best to build 2 starters and put them in a 1 gallon jar and build 2 more? Will the yeast be fine in the jar for 5 days while the other starters are growing? Does anyone have a better method? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Man, I think if I was going to do a 20 gallon batch, I'd just brew a 5 gallon batch and use that as the starter. Mr Malty says a 20 gallon batch of 1.050 wort requires about 340 of slurry. Since it's so much starter wort, I'd like to have something I could drink rather than pour down the drain. I suppose you would want to brew something pretty light weight though, to not stress out the yeast too much. Just a thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Hello pjkutah welcome to HBT. I wouldn't worry to much about the batch size. If you can do 4 separate yeasts for a 20 gallon batch then a single yeast should be easy. Take a look at Yeast calc

http://yeastcalc.com/

It should help you to get to your goal. You can play around with any size step ups depending on your equipment and time.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 124

The bigger the batch, the easier it is to step up. Pro step up rates are 10:1.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Haven't done a starter for 20 gallons yet but I am working on stepping up two starters. Making a 10 gallon batch of Imperial stout and I used yeastcalc.com to figure out the best steps needed. I am using 1 gallon glass jugs cause I only have a 2000ml flask..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
pjkutah12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like if I just build 2 normal 5 gallon starters in my 2L flasks and put the slurry in a 1 gallon jug, add 500ml or so of starter and crash them, then create 2 more and do the same thing I should be ok. Does this sound ok? Will crashing the yeast from the first 2 starters be a problem? I plan on buying a 5L flask in the near future so I won't have any problems but I am hoping this will work in the meantime. I think doing a 5 gallon batch might be overkill but maybe not. Mr. Malty calculates me at 989B cells at 4.9L but I probably won't achieve the 96% viability if I crash the original 2 starters. I would plan on waking them up before pitching to get them going again. Any more thoughts? Again, thanks for all of the responses.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 598

You are making a 1.071 beer? You have (2) stir plates and (2) 2l flasks? What is the production date on the yeast? What I would do if the yeast is 3 months old.
1) make a 1.5l starter, cold crash, decant
2) pour half of that batch of slurry into your other flask and make 2 1.5l starters, cold crash, decant
3) With the slurry in both flasks make two more 2l starters

You should end up with a trillion cells.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

OlieNH Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
pjkutah12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses. Just made 2 1.5L starters and will step those up during the week. I thought I was on the right track but confirmation and to see how others do it is nice..

Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As PJKutah's cobrewer, I can tell you that he nailed the starters on this one. They started to krausen around 14 hours in and they are were at full krausen at 36 hours. Thanks for the support, guys!

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4: