Yeast Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
Has anyone ever substituted Ale yeast in Lager recipes, and what affect it has?
I am interested in trying this.:drunk:

It can be done. Choose something clean which will floc out well and you should be okay. The Chico (California Ale) is pretty clean, white labs wyeast or dry. You will probably want to still ferment it pretty cool to get a cleaner, more lager like, beer.

While it wont be a lager it will still make a light drinking golden ale. Like CF said, choose a high floc high attenuating yeast to make it as close to a lager as feasable but there's nothing wrong with choosing a different yeast.

If you use dry yeasts go for Danstar Nottingham assuming the rumours are true (that DanStar Nottingham is the same strain as Gervin English Ale). I use Gervin EA alot and it gives a nice clean neutral flavour to my ales. Its not the most highly floculant strain but thats not a problem when using kegs.

Try the wyeast 1056 it worked good for us. We used it in "Pansy's Pale Ale". The beer was called a Lagernot in the recipe.

Back