The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Pack Not Swelling!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
bobby1212
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Pack Not Swelling!!

I am in the middle of brewing a batch of Oatmeal Stout and my British Ale II yeast pack is not swelling. The little packet inside broke and it has been well over hours and nothing yet.
How is this going to affect me? Will it still work or do I need another packet? I cannot get one until Monday so what else could I use?

Thanks,
Bobby1212

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
debaniel
Recipes 

What is the date on the package?

And how many hours has it been? Sometimes you have to wait overnight to see any swelling, if the package was produced a couple of months ago...

Since you are in the middle of brewing, you can't hurt anything by pitching the yeast as is. If you aren't seeing any fermentation by Monday, perhaps you could pick up a package of dry yeast and throw it in there...

From here on out, think about making a starter. Then you'll know plenty of time in advance as to whether your smack pack is rockin or not...

Old 12-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
bobby1212
Recipes 

The date on the packet is October 2007 so that isn't the problem. It has been over 3 hours since I activated it.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

How warm is it where you have the packet? 3 hours really isn't all that long especially if you didn't warm the pack up when you smacked it

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had the same propblem on the last smack pack I used. It turns out that I hadn't broken the inner pack, although I was sure I had, and couldn't feel it anymore.

Try laying it on the counter, and feeling for the inner pack, just in case. Or just beat the heck out of it, beacuse it won't hurt the yeast any.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #6
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

It may be too late, but I wait for my yeast to show signs of swelling before I use it. I actually get my yeast (the big Wyeast pack (I think it is called Activator)) from my LHBS about 2 weeks before I want to brew. That way, I know that I will get fresh yeast in the big Wyeast pack and it only costs $1 more. Upon arrival, I smack it and divide it about equally into 2 starters and use that for 2 different 5 gallon batches.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Hillbillie PHiL
Recipes 

My last smack pack took more than 6 hours to show any signs of life; the manufacture date was in September.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
bobby1212
Recipes 

Well I pitched it so we will see what happens. The inner pouch was broken. I have never had one take so long. All the others that I have used swelled within 2 hours.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
jfliv
Recipes 

Default Interesting!!!

I came across this thread searching for information on long lag times...

My brew last Sunday, (all grain, nut brown ale, wyeast london ale), similar to previous post I thought I smacked the pack the night before. But... I didn't... so, as I was about to brew I noticed a lack of swelling. I figured it wouldn't be a problem. The pack was at room temp. so I just made sure to smack it and went about brewing. I assumed I'd see some swelling by the time I finished the sparge... Wrong!!! Oh.. oh.

Well, there is no LHBS, so my choices were limited. I went ahead and pitched the yeast when the time came and hoped for the best. BTW... everything about this brew session went great, other than the yeast...

So, I didn't see much fermentation for 3 days. I've seen slow starts before, but never 3 days, so I was nervous (still am). Weighing my options, FEDEX more yeast ($50), wait (??)... I decided to wait, and search for a nearby brewery... maybe I could beg yeast.

Finally, I realized that there was a pretty decent package store, and they probably would have some bottle conditioned beer... maybe I could pitch yeast from one of those. (I wanted to try the Left Hand Smoke Jumper Porter anyway).

That was Friday... but when I arrived home... ferme
ntation had started... I can only hope that it's the Wyeast not some random wild yeast... 5 day lag. I'm cautiously optimistic...

So, back to the original post. If I had the LHBS option, I would have purchased another smack pack and re-pitched after 2 days... If you are really concerned, you could bring the wort back to a boil, then cool and repitch. This would eliminate any wild yeasts from your wort.

I've learned my lesson... I'm making starters from now on.

Fermenting: Karen's Favorite Ale v 1.1 (scary brew day)
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout (Beta) sorry for the goofy it versioning
Drinking: NOTHING! UGH!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is exactly why you make a starter 1-2 days in advance. You'll know beforehand if the yeast is dead. It also wakes them up and increases the population to a more optimal pitching rate.

sure those smack packs and vials say "pitchable", but they are not at the ideal pitch rate.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply