Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Harvesting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Nil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Harvesting

Hi All,

I am making some tweaks to yeast harvesting. In order to increase yeast reproduction and increase pitching rate, would you recommend setup a yeast starter and oxygenating it for > 24 hours using an aquarium pump with an in-line 0.2 microns filter? Would this setup maximize yeast reproduction and pitching rate? In other word, more oxygen, more reproduction? (This is obviously limited by the amount of sugar, yet this is not the point).

Thanks, Nil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I don't really know about using an aquarium pump.. I use a striplate and no other aeration. 18 - 24 hours and I have proper of cell growth.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Coffee_Creek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

What /\ said, I just shake the piss out of mine then put it on the stir plate, never had any issues or felt like it needed any additional oxygen.

Coffee_Creek Brewery

Old 11-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm not sure what your goal is here. It absolutely is NOT true that pitching more yeast is better. You just want to grow enough yeast to get to the optimal pitching rates for your OG. If you brew normal strength beers, a simple starter and a vial of yeast works perfectly fine. If you brew a lot of really high OG beers, you'll either need to make really big starters, reuse a chunk of yeast cake from a prior brew, or invest in stir plates etc to maximize yeast growth in a smaller volume.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Nil
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the aquarium pump with an in-line 0.2 microns filter to oxygenate the wort (for the starter) before adding the yeast. What I have read is that, at the extend that the yeast detects oxygen, it will keep in aerobic mode and thus growing.

I use this set up since I harvest my yeast and I wanna maximize growth every time I make a starter.

Thanks, Nil

Quick Reply