The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast experts need some opinions. Belgian Yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Yeast experts need some opinions. Belgian Yeast.

I have been messing around with my version of a Belgian IPA. Trying to get a good balance of hops and yeast character. My first attempt was a lower gravity IPA attempt. I used a 1 quart starter and fermented around 75 (trying to bring out the yeast flavor) The beer ended up with just a slight yeast character, but not much a lot of it was covered up by the hops, which I knew might be a problem..

Well here is where im confused. I just transfered my IIPA attempt tonight. This was one that I pretty much just doubled everything in the above beer, and put it on the first IPA's yeast cake. Everything stayed the same, same temp, same amount of time in fermenter. Well sampled this one, and it has a much better yeast character coming out. It was a lot better balanced.

Where im lost at is. I thought lower yeast count would stress the yeast more resulting in a more spices from the belgian yeast. My results where the complete opposite. Only thing I can see is maybe the second generation yeast caused this beer to have more flavor contributed from the yeast. Or maybe the higher OG caused the yeast to stress more.

What are your thoughts. Hope this made sense.

BTW the IIPA Belgian is freaking amazing, I almost had a hard time throwing the brett into it, hopefully this will make it even better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought IPAs (India Pale Ales) were British?

IPAs have nothing to do with Belgiums...

Old 04-26-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I thought IPAs (India Pale Ales) were British?

IPAs have nothing to do with Belgiums...
Its a newer style of beer, thats why I wanted to experiment with them, most brewers that make them in Belgium use American hops, but I messed around with noble hops.
http://beeradvocate.com/articles/663
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1339/26159/

Old 04-26-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm definitely interested in hearing how your experiment is turning out. I read about the belgian-american IPA in Radical Brewing and it seemed very interesting, but I'm not ballsy enough to try it yet.

Anyway, back on topic, I too am surprised by your result. From what I've read, stressing your yeast (under pitching, sub-optimal temperatures, etc.) will create more yeast character in your final beer.

I'm also surprised that you left both your original and IIPA batches in the fermenter for equal lengths of time. I would have thought that a IIPA, due to its higher gravity, would have taken longer to ferment and condition.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Randy Mosher writes very positively about Belgian IPAs. It's obviously not one for the traditional beer stylist, but if we're honest, neither were American IPAs - they're just crazy-ass American corruptions of an almost-extinct British style, and I'd be amazed if any American IPA ever made it to India. That said, it's also my favorite style of beer. Beer experimentation rules!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4200 Times on 3058 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I was just thinking along the same lines! It's funny you posted this, because last night I was sniffing my airlock with the Belgian (it's a low gravity session beer) and wondering how it would be with more hops, specifically an IPA. I'm using WLP530, though, and my house is cold and I can't get it above about 64-65 degrees.

What yeast are you using?

Ok, you've convinced me on a Belgian IPA. But no way I'm going to be getting into sour beers now!

I have NO idea why you'd get more yeasty goodness with the second batch, unless just more yeast and more fermentables caused the yeast to be more dominant.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
instereo13
Recipes 

I threw this out on the recipe threads.
Wheat IPA saison.
enough said

Old 04-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I also read on the style, and I don't see how you could get what makes Belgians great to come through all those hops. I'd love to try one though!
Also, get that 530 higher than 75! Go for more in the 80 range.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
instereo13
Recipes 

fruity yeast (pear, apples) plus citrus hops(grapefruit, pineapple) equals drool

Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by instereo13
fruity yeast (pear, apples) plus citrus hops(grapefruit, pineapple) equals drool
I was thinking the same thing, something like a typical lighter color belgian grain/sugar profile but then go with either a C hop or amarillo and dryhop simcoe with wlp570.

Might have to formulate my own little recipe that I may or may not ever make.

Quick Reply