Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Culture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
CheaperPlease
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Culture

ok, I've got a good idea of how this works and was wondering about some cheaper ways to obtain my yeast. Alot of the beers i buy have a bit of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, if i collected this from a few bottles... say a 12 pack of Blue Moon, and dumped it into a starter (1/4 cup DME and a quart of water) would this double my yeast and give me enough to use for brewing or would this yield a wasted 1/4 cup DME? Ofcourse I would be using this yeast for a blue moon clone and was figuring if i wanted the very same yeast they use, there is no better place to get it than the bottom of the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just remember, this isn't the brewing yeast it's the bottling yeast.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
CheaperPlease
Recipes 

Bottling yeast? I'd say that Blue Moon, owned by coor's and produsing massive amounts of beer on the daily dosnt bottle condition there beer... although i could be wrong, I was under the impression that the yeast that came to rest at the bottom of there bottles was from the brewing process like most belgian brews. Same as the beer i have in my fridge i brewed, also holding a layer of yeast same as Blue moon, yet i used no 'bottling yeast'.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I'm all for reusing yeast, but wheats, an ale, are usually bottled with a lager yeast or at least a different yeast than they used to ferment with.

We, as homebrewers, just prime our beer (the yeast we used to ferment with is still in there).

Old 07-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

HB -

Are you saying that they fiter the beer, then add new yeast to bottle condition with? Otherwise there will still be the original yeast in there AND the bottling yeast (assuming they use it). So if the original yeast is still in suspension, he could pull a sample from the top of the bottle, dump it into a big starter solution and get a good culture in a few days.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The least expensive way has to be washing the yeast from your previous brews. There have been several discussions. This at least lets you work with a known yeast strain.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
HB - Are you saying that they fiter the beer, then add new yeast to bottle condition with? Otherwise there will still be the original yeast in there AND the bottling yeast (assuming they use it). So if the original yeast is still in suspension, he could pull a sample from the top of the bottle, dump it into a big starter solution and get a good culture in a few days.
I haven't been able to confirm the filtering part, but yes, they do add new yeast for conditioning. Remember, I'm a Hefe Weizen nut. Many HWs also use the gyle process for conditioning.

I guess my point with the other poster was that he should brew as normal then add a "starter" using the yeast he re-cultured. One problem he may encounter is "how much" do you use for bottle conditioning? Remember, we only use 6-11 oz of yeast to begin a starter for a 5 gal batch (to ferment). Do you use 1/2 of that to condition? Or 2 oz? I've head of some people just dropping a few yeast grains into each bottle. Chances are both will work, but you'd have to stand-by at the ready to sample some bottles at different stages to make sure you don't overcarbonate. You know, as I read what I wrote I couldn't see a downside to that.

As for taking the beer from the top, isn't that a waste of a good beer to drink? That's why we use what's on the bottom.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperPlease
Bottling yeast? I'd say that Blue Moon, owned by coor's and produsing massive amounts of beer on the daily dosnt bottle condition there beer... although i could be wrong, I was under the impression that the yeast that came to rest at the bottom of there bottles was from the brewing process like most belgian brews. Same as the beer i have in my fridge i brewed, also holding a layer of yeast same as Blue moon, yet i used no 'bottling yeast'.
I hear what you're saying, but if you make a German Kellerbier you don't even prime it before kegging.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Sephro
Recipes 

I gave this a try with a 6 pack of SNPA....
This is what I got the next day

So this is not the same yeast they use for fermentation? They have a different strand of yeast to bottle with??

Kegged - Munich ale
Secondary - Rye IPA
Aging – Mead

Old 07-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

That looks like a great sample.

The straight answer for your question is that I do not know. It may be what SNPA uses. You could always give it a try by splitting that starter, use half of it and make another larger one.

Good luck.

Quick Reply