Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Brewin_the_goods
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast clone?

I was told that I could take the yeast from the bottom of a SN Pale Ale and grow the yeast. I don't quite understand how this is done, could someone please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
homebrew is for sharing. A$$hole brothers are for punching. See if you can cleverly combine the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanis View Post
And Jesus too. He loved wine. Total party guy. Rolls into a party, "What, all you have is water?!? Wine, bitches!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

in the sticky section right above where you posted there is "Yeast Washing Illustrated" check that out.
EDIT: yea, i read that wrong. I thought you were going to harvest the yeastcake after primary.

Last edited by BreckBastion; 06-23-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Yeast Washing Illustrated post tells you how to save and re-use yeast that you've already used once, though.

To culture yeast from a bottle, you need to make a very small batch of unhopped "beer" by just boiling some DME in water to get a starting gravity of around 1.030-1.040.

Search for "culturing yeast" or something similar and you should find instructions. Or click Wiki at the top of the page and search there.

Sierra Nevada yeast, by the way, is the same as WLP001/Wyeast 1056/Safale S-05. Probably has taken on some house characteristics by now (don't know how often they start their yeast culture over, if ever), but basically the same.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This worked well for me: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Yeast from Commercial Beers

I just did it with Oberon and it worked great.

Quick Reply