The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Cake Preservation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast Cake Preservation

I'd like to use a yeast cake, but keep it for a few weeks before actually putting it to use. I've had a little trouble with collected yeast after a brew, so I'm hesitant to just put some of the slurry in a sanitized bottle. I was thinking that once I rack the beer off the trub, I could leave just enough to keep the cake moist, replace the airlock, and stick the whole carboy in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, then bring it out a few hours before I need it to let it warm up a bit, just like a vial of liquid yeast.

Am I way off base with this, or should it work just as well as saving some of the slurry in a bottle in the fridge?

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4197 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshae View Post
I'd like to use a yeast cake, but keep it for a few weeks before actually putting it to use. I've had a little trouble with collected yeast after a brew, so I'm hesitant to just put some of the slurry in a sanitized bottle. I was thinking that once I rack the beer off the trub, I could leave just enough to keep the cake moist, replace the airlock, and stick the whole carboy in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, then bring it out a few hours before I need it to let it warm up a bit, just like a vial of liquid yeast.

Am I way off base with this, or should it work just as well as saving some of the slurry in a bottle in the fridge?
That should work. I think Orfy mentioned he did just that not too long ago.

Have you considered washing the yeast and keeping it indefinitely?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Have you considered washing the yeast and keeping it indefinitely?
I have, but I don't repeat use of the same yeasts often enough, I think. I'm still in the variety phase, brewing all kinds of different things and looking for favorites. Once I settle down and start sticking to a few favorites, I might go that route.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just left 4 carboys from a batch of IRA in my garage with airlocks on them for a few weeks with no problems, just pitched a brown ale on them. No signs of any infections so far.

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I have never stored the entire cake for extended time but have saved trub from the cake in sterilized mason jars for many months in the fridge. Basically this is the same process. I will use a starter if I leave the yeast in the fridge for more than a few weeks. I usually get 4-6 batches from 1 yeast culture. Charlie

Primary
On DeckIPA, Pale ale, ESB

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
SirFizzle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
I have never stored the entire cake for extended time but have saved trub from the cake in sterilized mason jars for many months in the fridge. Charlie
About how many months can I expect to get out of recycled trub as stated above?
Have a 1/3 bottle of wheat smack pack saved in the fridge from primary back in April. Tried to kick it off in the bottle with a starter yesterday but no gas has bubbled through the airlock yet. I just drained the liquid, added starter, shook it up, and stuck an airlock on top.

Some notes: 70 deg, no stir plate and I'm using apple cider to start it for two reasons...1) I'm making hard cider 2) No DME on hand.

I'm thinking the cider is a bad starter food, since apple juice doesn't foam up like malt based worts will.

Quick Reply