LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
tagz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default 1056 - Overwhelmingly Fruity?

Just sampled the porter I brewed up a little while back, and it has a strong yeast flavor. I let it settle in the fridge for two days before sampling, so I'm curious what might be causing this flavor. Surprised too because I used Wyeast 1056 which is supposed to have a fairly clean profile. Perhaps I just have to let it sit for a while, but I thought I'd throw it out there for input. Here's my recipe:

(2.5 Gallon Batch)
3# Light Pils DME
1/3# Chocolate
1/4# Crystal 80
1/4# Carapils
1/8# Belgian Black
3/4 oz Cascade Whole Leaf (FWH)
Wyeast 1056 (washed, 1/2 quart starter)

Steep grains 30 min at 152. Fermented at 63-65. FG 1.018. Primary 4 weeks. Has been in bottles 2 weeks.

So, I think I'll have a pretty tasty beer if I can cut down on the yeastiness. Its pretty fruity, and I thought I wouldn't have any problem with that if I kept the fermentation a bit cooler. I have no problem letting it sit a while longer. If I do, should I leave them at room temp (65) or put them in the basement (55) to help drop out the yeast?

Last edited by tagz; 05-26-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
tagz
Recipes 

So, I moved the bottles into the basement (55 degrees), and took another sample yesterday. Again, I let it sit in the fridge a few days to help the yeast settle. The aroma was overwhelmingly fruity yeast. So much that it blocks out most of the roasted grain flavors.

Possible causes?
- Yeast was washed from a batch of pale ale that I brewed a couple months back. Maybe dormant/stressed from sitting in the fridge for so long.
- I only made a 1/2 quart starter.
- Infection?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two weeks in the bottle is not enough time. The yeast is probably still working on the priming sugar.
Wait at least two more weeks, and even better, a month. It will taste much better.

Too much too fast to keep track of...

Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70 3 weeks @ 70

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
tagz
Recipes 

it has now been 3 weeks in bottle. it has plenty of carbonation but its definitely possible that the yeast is still working. i'm willing to let it sit. i was just surprised that the yeast character was so strong. wasn't the case the last time i used this strain. i'll bring it up from the basement. thanks for the advice.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've ruined batches of dark brew with that over-fruity character before---and it was from, get this, washed/harvested yeast. What were your fermentation temps???

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Papazian says that yeast bite can come from overpitching. Did you make a massive 1056 starter?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Try leaving the bottles cold for more than two days. I don't think 2 days is quite enough to cold crash the yeast out. I mean, I cold crash my secondary for this purpose for at least a week.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I rarely taste any of mine prior to 10 weeks anymore.. patience, it is a virtue

Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
tagz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I've ruined batches of dark brew with that over-fruity character before---and it was from, get this, washed/harvested yeast. What were your fermentation temps???
Interesting. I fermented at around 64 and kept it fairly steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Papazian says that yeast bite can come from overpitching. Did you make a massive 1056 starter?
I actually thought I may have made too small a starter - only half quart.

I'll give them another or two week or so at room temp. Then, I'll toss one in the fridge for a good week and see what happens. If there's no change by then, I'll put them in the basement and try to forget about them for a month.

Thanks for all the input. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Quick Reply