Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ye Olde Stuck Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ye Olde Stuck Fermentation

Ok, their are lots of stuck fermentation post, but non I can find are answering my question... So here it is.

I have had a 1.050 OG ale fermenting at 64-65 degrees with Ringwood Wyeast for 15 days. I judge most of my brews primary fermentation progress by air lock activity, and most are at about to 3-4 bubbles a minute within a week. With this beer however, I am still bubbling 4 times a minute at day 15, and have been around that rate for a couple days.

I am planning on just giving it a few more days and hope to complete fermentation. But 15 days seem a little long, and I have heard some iffy things about ringwood. So I was just wondering if I am ok, or may I be having a problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You are going to hear a lot of this:

You need to take a hydrometer reading to have any idea. Airlock activity is not a sign of when it is done.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If your yeast did not start fermenting within 24 hours from pitching then it must have started later to still be going on day 15. Did you pitch cold or at 80 F.

How much yeast was used? Starter?

All my ales vigorus fermentations are complete within 4 days and the yeast start right away. Some liquid yeast starters start to ferment within 8 hours. I aerate with oxygen or shake the crap out of the carboy and I pitch ales at 75 to 80 F. Once I see fermentation starting I lower the temperature to 63 to 65F.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Last edited by WBC; 03-04-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Quick Reply