Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wyeast VSS French Saison #3711 Available

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Wyeast VSS French Saison #3711 Available

Wyeast Very Special Strain- French Saison # 3711- Activator- 4.25 oz $5.75 @ Midwest
Incase someone has been waiting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I don't know how you could possibly know this.....but I am. You must be talking to someone else, but my LHBS really let me down with this one, they could get it and then they couldn't - back and forth for ~1-2 months. So I need to order it. Its supposed to be great BTW.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I don't know how you could possibly know this.....but I am. You must be talking to someone else, but my LHBS really let me down with this one, they could get it and then they couldn't - back and forth for ~1-2 months. So I need to order it. Its supposed to be great BTW.
Is there a decent (available) Saison you could recomend to someone who has never had one?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Is there a decent (available) Saison you could recomend to someone who has never had one?
I'd try one first - but I don't want to discourage. Dupont is pretty available and is a 'classic' saison. If you like it, their yeast is Wyeast Saison or Whitelabs Saison I(565). The flavor profile is pretty close.
Wyeast Saison is good, Whitelabs 565 can have attenuation issues(Saisons should finish very dry) so be prepared to pitch another already working yeast into it. I've tried WL Saison II(566?) and it is OK. I really want to try their Saison Blend. I just used Wyeast's Forbidden Fruit, but the beers not done yet.
Why not just order 3711?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

What I don't get about this is why they're releasing this yeast now -- in the dead of winter for most of the US. Saison does best when fermented warm. That's why saisons are brewed in the spring and early summer. So what's with releasing the yeast when it can't be used to its full potential?

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 12-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
What I don't get about this is why they're releasing this yeast now -- in the dead of winter for most of the US. Saison does best when fermented warm. That's why saisons are brewed in the spring and early summer. So what's with releasing the yeast when it can't be used to its full potential?
Chad
I put mine by a space heater, so they get plenty hot, 80F+. Not that you don't make a good point, it is strange.

Quick Reply