Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wyeast Pacman yeast temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #31
Gofastr1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not experienced with an IPA on pacman at 78F, but as a point of reference: I just moved my two stouts to secondaries after two weeks in primaries, and several additions of cherries. The pacman that had got to 72 (on the fermometer, so maybe 75 internal?) was delicious prior to cherry additions - really rich coffee flavors, and I didn't get any frutiness. The Wyeast Irish that probably got to the same temp had a little fruitiness to it - again before cherries.
I'll have to try it again sometime without cherry, but I had my mind set on a good load of chocolate cherry stout in the cellar for several winters' enjoyment, and I'm stubborn...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #32
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As an aside: I pitched on a Pacman yeast cake tonight. Man, that cake was as hard as a rock. It looked like a bunch of dead coral! I just transferred the prior batch to secondary, already very clear and tasting very clean.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #33
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally added PacMan to my yeast bank from 1st gen starter..now have 10 vials in freezer.

Just pitched the rest of the starter on a Rogue Dead Guy clone..2nd time brewing this..last time I served it at my nieces wedding and everyone raved about it.

This has become my favorite yeast...I have the temp set at 60d in my ferm fridge

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA

Old 07-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #34
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I love this PacMan I just dry hopped my Quad 7 and it went from 1.073 to 1.01. PacMan has never let me down so far.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #35
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

PacMan is probably my favorite yeast from Wyeast. Every beer/style that I have made with it has turned out fantastic. Hope that Wyeast chooses to make this part of the permanent collection. Have also been impressed with Wyeaast Denny's - very versatile too.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #36
soundsandsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting reading in here. I'm brewing a Coopers Ale-style kit that I bought for cheap at the grocery store yesterday. Replaced the recommended 2kgs of dextrose with LME and added some Amarillo for 30 and ten and pitched some cultured Pacman.
I should have put it in a water bath but was tired and lazy. Three hours later I had some serious fermentation action going. I checked the temp on the outside of the fermenter and it was at 84, so immediately stuck some water in my bottling bucket and popped the carboy in. Smelling pretty fruity, but delicious.
An hour ago I checked and it was only down to 78, so I put it out on the balcony. Our forecast says a range of 9 to 18 Celsius (48 to 64 F). I'm interested to see how it turns out.
It was more of an experiment (the canned beer kit) than anything, so I'm not too worried if it's not great. The posts on here about the viable temperature range of Pacman are pretty reassuring, though.
Time to get a swamp cooler worked out, though.

3 Gallon Carboy -
6 Gallon Carboy #1 -
6 Gallon Carboy #2 -
Bottled - Show Mead, Acai Apfelwein, Warm Winds Blond, Vertical Line Pale Ale.

Up next: 2 or 3 different Saisons

Old 10-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #37
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I pitched Bells Two Hearted clone onto a PacMan starter a 3 days ago and it's going strong. Took off after about 12 hours.

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA

Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #38
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i got a Haus Pale Ale with a big 1L starter at 55F that is fermenting away. It isnt super fast but is still going. A little shake of the carboy and you can see all the yeast at the top getting mixed up about 3 inches deep

Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #39
ForRealBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
Where did you find PacMan at?
Rebel Brewers has it too. Just ordered some today, and from that I am going to build a starter, vial up most of that and then build out from the rest to slighter larger than 1 liter pitch, as according to MrMalty's calculator.

I figure that the vials will only be Gen 2 and if I get 5-6 of those, I should be good to go for the next year. PacMan is earning its way into a lot of different batches, from Centennial Blond I constantly make to a Fat Tire Clone and possibly a Magic Hat #9 clone as well. That yeast is like a sailor stepping off the boat after a six month tour.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #40
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

odds are that your beer store has all the yeast you need? About every six months or so I harvest new pacman from a few bombers of rogue stout.....the beer is good...not super awesome but good.....but the yeast...oh the yeast.

I have had nothing but great results with harvested pacman, after 4-5 generations I have found flocculation to become an issue, but nothing else. It always attuenuates huge, regardless of mash temp.

I have found, in house, that the yeast adapts to my brewery and my techniques. I always make big starters and cold crash them. Over time pacman becomes harder and harder to crash..it just wants to keep fermenting. THis makes me wonder about pacmans heritage.....I am starting to doubt that it comes from WLP001 or chico...I find it more attenuative, flocculent and able to ferment cooler. This makes me think pacman is of a different breed.

That all being said, on a homebrew level, I have found pacman fermented at 68 or so to be super clean and hugely attenuative. The only thing I can detect of a pacman beer, is if i let the beer warm up to room temp and swirl to get rid of most of the carbonation, I can detect mineral, earthy, grassy, muddy type tones....but very, very subdued.

Quick Reply