Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wyeast Pacman yeast temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #21
magnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to follow up the Blonde came out a little fruity, ferm temps were mid 60's. I plan to do one soon in the low 60's high 50's now that my basement is really cold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
dleonard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I ended up chickening out.
I didn't find anywhere else other than the rebelbrewer website that said 48, so I put thermometers around the house and found out that my spare bathtub stays around 67. So I just fermented in there.
Sorry for taking the easy way out.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #23
Turbulence
Recipes 

I have a Shakespeare stout clone fermenting right now, it seems to be going strongly with the fermometer reading 52 due to a couple cold nights recently. I'll have to report back later after I find out how well it attenuates and tastes.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
troutab81
Recipes 

I tried Pacman for the first time on my AG first every brew (60 min dogfish clone). While the brew day was a disaster with my stuck mash do to not having a siphon going and my efficiencies are well off expected, the Pacman was pitched around mid 60s.

It roared after 8 hours and brought the temp up to 72 by the following day (yikes).

Learning experience !

Although my blowoff tube smells like heaven.

Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just did the same thing temp wise. I got the wort colder than expected at 60 degree pitch and put it in the 62 degree basement. I had expected a start within 12 hours from previous batches i had pitched at 70 degrees, but didn't see activity at 18 hours, so i put a small heat lamp near the corny i ferment in, and got things warmed up to 68 and shut the lamp off.

Fermentation raised the temp all the way to 72 and held there until the ferment was finished 4 days later. Basement temp is consistent 63.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #26
Gofastr1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yesterday I brewed a really dark stout with an OG of 1.086, pitched at 70F. This was a 10g batch that I split into two 5 gallon batches and pitched with 1.5 quart, 24 hour old starters of Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) and Pacman, and set in my blanket-insulated fermentation box in my 61F basement. The Irish was bubbling through the blowoff slightly in 30 minutes; both were going within two hours.

This morning both were blowing gas like crazy, the Irish spitting krausen through the tube. Fermometer temp read 71, so I removed the blankets. By afternoon, temp was 72, so I took the pails out of the box and set them on the cold concrete floor. If I don't see a little temp drop by morning, I'm gonna have to cool water bath these.

This is just my third beer. Prior two were done in the depth of winter, and a day after pitching, generally stayed below 66. I'm concerned with 72 - will my beer taste funky? I plan to add cherries at end of primary, so maybe any fruitiness/esters won't be so noteable?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #27
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the opposite situation - I'm at 57. It's happily bubbling along, but I don't want the yeast to flocc out too early. Anybody who fermented in low-to-mid 50s have results to share? Thanks for the help.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got a DFH 60 going with pacman that I'm a little worried about. I pitched at 60. It was bubbling away 8 hours later. 24 hours after pitching it was 78, so I threw it in a water bath whick brought it to 68. Was that first few hours at a high temp gonna ruin the whole thing, or could I have saved it? I threw a couple bottles of ice in to bring it down a little more. Think it'll be ok?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4380 Times on 3187 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
I got a DFH 60 going with pacman that I'm a little worried about. I pitched at 60. It was bubbling away 8 hours later. 24 hours after pitching it was 78, so I threw it in a water bath whick brought it to 68. Was that first few hours at a high temp gonna ruin the whole thing, or could I have saved it? I threw a couple bottles of ice in to bring it down a little more. Think it'll be ok?
I guess it depends on how long it was over 72ish, and how many esters were formed. I think it'll be ok, but possibly with some fruitiness that wouldn't have been there in the 60s.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #30
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 3

fitting you answered yooper, since it was your recipe. It smells a little fruity in my brew closet. I'm excited aboit it, even though I mighta messed it up a bit. It started rockin so quick, least lag time I've ever had. The thermal activity from the yeast made it warmer than I thought it was gonna get. We'll see in 4 to six weeks.

Quick Reply