Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wyeast Pacman yeast temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Chad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Think of it as a more attenuative version of the scottish strain (which may be the case but of course the origins are shrouded in mystery and nobody currently working at Rogue has any idea where it came from).

Tolerant of mid 50s, clean through the mid 60s and very estery at high temps.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I've seen claims that Pacman is everything from mutated 1056/WLP001 to Brewtek CL-50 and nobody seems to know much about it other than the John Maier quote about fermenting at 60° and pitching lots of yeast. I'm really intrigued by an ale yeast that is good down to the 50°s. That bodes well for some of the beers I have planned. I am a bit concerned, though because this batch was pitched at 76°F. That was the best I could do; it was a crappy brew day, including a stuck sparge that required completely disassembling the mash tun. I'm surprised I even got wort into the fermenter. Oy. Anyway, I pitched at 76° and put the fermenter in a tub of cold water. It was down to 70° in a couple of hours and down to 60° in about 12 hours, so I'm probably all right, but I don't have high hopes for this beer. OTOH, I'm making Yooper's Dead Guy clone next so I'll have a boatload of Pacman ready to go.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I've used pacman at pitch temperatures into the high 60's and low 70's with really good results. It's one of my favorite yeasts. I found mine at The brew Hut a while back, and I have several bottles of washed yeast waiting for use.

I did a split ferment of a ten gallon batch of rye pale ale, half with S-05 and half with pacman. My subjective tasting results were that I preferred the pacman-fermented beer over the S-05 beer.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried Pacman in the 50-55 degree range? I haven't tried it yet, but I picked up some Pacman in my last order from RebelBrewer to have on hand for winter brewing. I had read that its temp range goes down to 49F, and my basement stabilizes in the low 50's during the heart of winter. Just wondering...

Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #14
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes, I also have heard it ferments as low as the mid 50's

Old 10-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This thread is motivating me to try and culture the dregs of a bomber of Brutal Bitter I've had in the fridge for a while...time to get off my arse and get some pacman cultured up.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
This thread is motivating me to try and culture the dregs of a bomber of Brutal Bitter I've had in the fridge for a while...time to get off my arse and get some pacman cultured up.
Could you post back with how long it takes to get enough yeast to pitch? I'm planning a Yellow Snow clone that I want to culture some Pacman for.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
beerthief
Recipes 

I'm fermenting with Pacman right now at 52F. Pitched with a starter, left it at room temperature for a day until it started fermenting and moved it into the cooler. It's been chugging along happily for about 2 weeks; I think it's almost done.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Good to know that it's going strong at that temperature. I like the idea of an ale yeast that can be fermented that cool.

The Pacman pale ale is done and conditioning in the keg. Not bad, and it didn't suffer from the higher than optimal starting temperature. Apparently getting it under 70° in a couple of hours was sufficient to minimize off flavors. What's really interesting is the Dead Guy clone that is fermenting now. It's Yooper's recipe but I missed my OG due to another disastrous brew day. My mash tun clogged again, forcing me to drain and sparge in a mesh bag. Needless to say, my efficiency went out the window. Be that as it may, I cooled with recirculated ice water and got the wort down to 60° before dumping it onto the swirled up Pacman yeast cake. The fermenter went into a water bath cooled with frozen bottles of water. I got bubbles in the blowoff vessel in about four hours, crazy fermentation for 48 hours, and now it's down to a bubble or two every couple of minutes. I'll take a hydro sample today, but I'm pretty sure it's done -- all between 58° and 60°. That's just amazing. I'll leave it in the fermenter for a full two weeks, the last three or four days in the fridge to clear it up a bit. I have great hopes for this beer. I'm definitely washing the yeast, and I think Pacman might become my house strain.

www.chadwrites.com

Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #19
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Blonde fermenting with Pacman right now that I recovered from a bottle. Big lag time but it's going strong now in the low 60's. I'll report back.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #20
dleonard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default False Info??

So I ordered some Pacman...
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...east-1764.html
Looking at the descripion is says that it ferments as low as 48F.
I didn't really look too hard, but I couldn't find anywhere else that says that it goes this low.
Wyeast says this:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/vssprogram.cfm?website=2
I'm going to use this yeast in a 'lager' that I'm going to do at 48F.
Anyway gotten close to it? 50F?
I'm brewing this weekend, so I'll let you know if fermentation starts...

Quick Reply