Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wyeast Pacman yeast temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Default Wyeast Pacman yeast temperature?

I just bought some Pacman yeast for my Dead Guy clone. My house is pretty cool right now- does anyone know the optimum temperature for the pacman yeast? It's not in the yeast descriptions on Wyeast's website.

Hopefully, 62-63 degrees would be good (kitchen). My laundry room is even cooler than that- 58 degrees. I can find a place that's near 65 most of the time, but it wouldn't be really convenient (my computer room). My basement is getting very cold- almost time for a lager!

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of a good temperature for both primary and secondary for this yeast type, I'd appreciate it.

Lorena

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will be fine. John Maier ferments cool with Pacman.

From the Wyeast website:

Quote:
“Pacman is really great yeast; everything about it is good. Pacman attenuates well, is alcohol tolerant, and it produces beers with no diacetyl if the beer is well made. It’s very flocculent, which makes it a great choice for bottle conditioning. I ferment almost all my beers at 60° F; once in a while for certain styles I’ll ferment as high as 70° F, but never higher. Use lots of oxygen, and a high pitch rate. I never repitch past the 6th generation, and I always use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient.”
- John Maier, Brewmaster, Rogue Ales www.rogue.com

Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
spb
Recipes 

I have a beer in secondary with Pacman yeast. I know that 60 degrees is fine as this is what Rogue does. As activity decreases the temperature is getting down into the high 50's. Are there negative effects on the beer from fermenting at temperatures below 60?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Resurrecting this thread because I've got an APA fermenting with Pacman right now. An overnight cold snap has the fermenter down to 58°, which doesn't worry me overmuch because Rogue ferments their beers at 60°F. I am a little concerned that the yeast will flocculate out prematurely, though. Doing a little research shows that the listed temp range is 60°-70°, however when Pacman was first released some retailers claimed that Pacman was good down to the mid-40s and working range was 48°-70°. Does anyone know for sure which is accurate?

Thanks,
Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I've got an APA fermenting with Pacman right now. An overnight cold snap has the fermenter down to 58°, which doesn't worry me overmuch because Rogue ferments their beers at 60°F. I am a little concerned that the yeast will flocculate out prematurely, though. Doing a little research shows that the listed temp range is 60°-70°, however when Pacman was first released some retailers claimed that Pacman was good down to the mid-40s and working range was 48°-70°. Does anyone know for sure which is accurate?

Thanks,
Chad
Wow- that's a post from me from three years ago asking about that yeast strain! I don't know the "right" answer to your question but I have been using this strain for several beers over the last three years. I've actually gone below 60 degrees with it, and it didn't stop when it dropped. They were gradual drops, though, and not a rapid drop. I don't think I ever went below 56-57 degrees, though.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Wow- that's a post from me from three years ago asking about that yeast strain! I don't know the "right" answer to your question but I have been using this strain for several beers over the last three years. I've actually gone below 60 degrees with it, and it didn't stop when it dropped. They were gradual drops, though, and not a rapid drop. I don't think I ever went below 56-57 degrees, though.
Excellent! Thanks very much. I figured everything was fine but this is the first time I've used Pacman.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Where did you find PacMan at?

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Thanks,
Chad
Think of it as a more attenuative version of the scottish strain (which may be the case but of course the origins are shrouded in mystery and nobody currently working at Rogue has any idea where it came from).

Tolerant of mid 50s, clean through the mid 60s and very estery at high temps.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
Where did you find PacMan at?
Brewmaster's warehouse seems to have it.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Brewmaster's warehouse seems to have it.
Yes, that's where my last store bought came from. I washed the cake, and have a couple of vials now.

I'm fermenting an IIPA right now (OG 1.072) at 60 degrees with pacman. I wanted to make sure it'll finish at a fairly low OG, but still be a very clean beer without esters, so I thought pacman would be ideal.

Quick Reply