Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Writing that request letter to your favorite brewery...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To the OP, why not name the brewery and brew on here? HBT is a great sounding board for trying to clone a certain brew...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnosaj View Post
I asked New Glarus for their Black Wheat recipe and received a very kind, apologetic note explaining that they felt they couldn't share any info with regards to their proprietary recipes even given that this particular beer had been discontinued.

I would expect the bigger the brewery the more likely they are to be willing to help. Sierra Nevada doesn't have to worry about clones because they're so big there's no chance of a clone cutting into market share in any appreciable way. Mom & Pop Brewery and Pub, however, could suffer immensely if one of their recipes was let loose.
that stands to reason.
i hope that because this particular beer is discontinued they'll be forthcoming, that's interesting to me that despite the fact the brewery isn't producing any thing to meet the demand they created, they still wouldn't share something with you. if they aren't even trying to lockdown that share of the market by producing the beer, they might as well help with the demand and let those who know how recreate their recipe at home. strange.

On Deck ~ filthy mongrel;
Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Creamy,thick,velvety head. - unionrdr

Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmick View Post
To the OP, why not name the brewery and brew on here? HBT is a great sounding board for trying to clone a certain brew...
The brewery is Long Trail, the beer is Hit the Trail...I didn't want to shuffle through the inevitable slew of criticism about how certain individuals don't 'prefer it,' or it isn't a very 'strong example' of the style, etc etc.
I have also searched this forum to the best of my humble abilities and couldn't find anything, nothing on the web either. There is a request, unanswered I might add, on this forum for a clone that was posted October '11 - I was hoping to eventually be able to answer that poor soul.

Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I remeber liking long trail a few years ago in VT, Double Bag was rather yummy as I recall. Dn't think I had hit the trail though.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I suspect most of those "contact us" emails go to the webmaster or sales or some office clerk at a lot of breweries (like many other small businesses). The person responding may just be repeating what they were told without thinking about how it affects the brewery's brand.

I've had luck asking specific questions rather than just asking for the whole recipe, but it probably just comes down to the brewery's policy on helping us out. A specific question to Avery landed the entire recipe scaled for homebrewing. Many specific questions to other breweries have gone unanswered for months and I expect no answer.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think Deschutes strikes a really good balance in this area. They have a homebrew section on their website and list all the ingredients (specific grain, hops and general yeast type) and the SG, FG, IBUs etc...then they say

Quote:
**Note: Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!
If you know your ingredients you can clone it pretty good I would imagine by knowing good ratios for the grains, what hops are for bittering vs. aroma/flavor etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hit the Trail is currently available in their mixed 12 packs. Just saw them this past Saturday.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #28
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
Hit the Trail is currently available in their mixed 12 packs. Just saw them this past Saturday.
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? !?!?!
why isn't it listed on their website?
i suspect you may have found an ancient 12 pack...but you live in boston...
weird man, it's not listed as part of their year round, seasonal, or limited edition brews.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #29
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
I remeber liking long trail a few years ago in VT, Double Bag was rather yummy as I recall. Dn't think I had hit the trail though.
Double Bag is nice, one of the strongest beers you can buy outside of a liquor store in VT. Hit the Trail is a dreamy creamy english brown, pretty sure southern english brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I suspect most of those "contact us" emails go to the webmaster or sales or some office clerk at a lot of breweries (like many other small businesses). The person responding may just be repeating what they were told without thinking about how it affects the brewery's brand.

I've had luck asking specific questions rather than just asking for the whole recipe, but it probably just comes down to the brewery's policy on helping us out. A specific question to Avery landed the entire recipe scaled for homebrewing. Many specific questions to other breweries have gone unanswered for months and I expect no answer.
I was kinda being wishful and wanting the recipient of the email, whatever level drone they may be, to direct it where it needed to go, afterall that is part of their job. but most likely yea, they just have a stock answer in a file somewhere.
Avery's choices make a lot of sense, given that in Extreme Brewing their brewmaster gives out a recipe or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strambo View Post
I think Deschutes strikes a really good balance in this area. They have a homebrew section on their website and list all the ingredients (specific grain, hops and general yeast type) and the SG, FG, IBUs etc...then they say

If you know your ingredients you can clone it pretty good I would imagine by knowing good ratios for the grains, what hops are for bittering vs. aroma/flavor etc.
Deschutes sounds like a nice place to grab a beer given this info.

I might try and send another email with a couple of my failed attempts...let them know where I am in the process, grains, hops, etc.

Thanks for the info guys - keep it coming!!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Long Trail Brewing's Winter Survival Pack by TheBeerSpot.com News

Their Winter Survival pack is pretty common in NE.
The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Quick Reply