Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Would this idea work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default Would this idea work?

I want to add a blast of hop flavor to an IPA before bottling and I was thinking of boiling up 2 cups of water and my priming sugar, then at "flameout" adding an ounce or so of Cascades. Then I'd let them steep before adding the solution to my beer. Yay or nay?

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Just throw some hops in your secondary for 5-7 days before you bottle. It's called dry hopping and works really well for what you want.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Either way would work. You get different effects, though, from dry hopping vs whirlpool addition or hop tea.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Actually, I'm dry hopping this beer right now. I'm looking to get a bit more hop flavor rather that just aroma. That's why I thought of doing hop "tea".

Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos View Post
Just throw some hops in your secondary for 5-7 days before you bottle. It's called dry hopping and works really well for what you want.
Dryhopping doesn't add any hop FLAVOR, just aroma. There's no alpha acids being isomerized so no flavor is going in.

Kaya, you're not the first person that's contemplated it or done it. Or flavored their priming sugar with ginger, or cinnamon or other spices. I've done it. It will work.

Are you gonna strain them before dumping the solution in? I would. Just let the whole shebang steep. In fact boil your solution, then after a couple minutes boiling. Turn the flame off, throw a lid on the solution, and let it cool for 15 minutes or so, that way any of the aroma oils should fall back into the solution as condensate.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This actually seems like a pretty clever way to reclaim some of the IBUs lost during fermentation.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Dryhopping doesn't add any hop FLAVOR, just aroma. There's no alpha acids being isomerized so no flavor is going in.

Kaya, you're not the first person that's contemplated it or done it. Or flavored their priming sugar with ginger, or cinnamon or other spices. I've done it. It will work.

Are you gonna strain them before dumping the solution in? I would. Just let the whole shebang steep. In fact boil your solution, then after a couple minutes boiling. Turn the flame off, throw a lid on the solution, and let it cool for 15 minutes or so, that way any of the aroma oils should fall back into the solution as condensate.
Cool. I was planning on straining out the hops before adding to the bottling bucket. I like the idea of letting them steep with a lid on the pot. Thanks for the idea.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used a french press to do this before. It works pretty well.

People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

would you have to add more sugar/water than usual to make up for hop absorbtion? also, how do you strain it effectively without splashing and potentially causing a bit of oxidation? I have never tried this method but it's intriguing...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No, I wouldn't add more sugar. THere's no way to know how much would get soaked up....add a random amount of sugar and you're asking for bottle bombs. Just give the hops in the strainer a squeeze with the back of the spoon and fuhgettaboutit.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply