Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wort Cooling method

View Poll Results: What kind of Chiller
Immersion 48 67.61%
Plate Chiller 12 16.90%
Other 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
crzepilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wort Cooling method

I am curious as to the preferred method of cooling wort of the folks here, I started off with the pot in the tub of ice which got a lot of water all over the place, I built an immersion chillers that I really enjoyed and thought that it did a fine job, I thought I would try and take it to another level thinking that a plate chiller would do me good and I'm just not enjoying it. Any advice on effectively using this plate chiller, I just can't seem to get the wort down to an acceptable temperature with out finagling. I'm not really seeing this fit in my system anymore but I dropped $$$ on a pump and the chiller thinking it would make my brew day go smoother but it is more or less a huge headache for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just voted "other" because I use a counter-flow chiller.

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 09-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
crzepilot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Jay View Post
Just voted "other" because I use a counter-flow chiller.
Is there anything specific you do to get the cooling water down to a sufficient enough temperature to cool the wort in one run? And do you recirculate the coolant water or do you just run it down the drain?And how difficult is the sanitization of that device?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

This is why I don’t like multiple choice, way too limiting. “Bathtub and chilled water tub” wasn’t up there.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1422 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I put immersion, but I utilize a simple pre-chiller. Chill most of the way (ie down to about 100F) with the immersion chiller (if I stir the chiller constantly it takes about 5-10 minutes), then use the prechiller. From tap through second inline immersion chiller in a bucket of ice and water, then through wort chiller, and back out. I intend to eventually go with a submersible pump cycling ice water through the immersion chiller in the wort.

Up Next: Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter, English IPA
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
RobInOre
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Immersion chiller works best for me. My situation is different from most folks though. My well provides enough water in the mid-50's to let me do my thing year round at the cost of cheap electricity. I sometimes feel bad for you guys in the cities and other deserts. To soothe my angst takes a lot of brewing

Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

With a pump you have any option out there available to you. I use a CFC and it works ok. I've thought about buying a plate chiller, but I've read they can be finicky with wort flow and clogging.

If you have an IC there is no reason not to use the pump to recirculate the wort. It will make the IC somewhat more effective.

If you still want to use the PC you can recirculate and not worry about flow rate. Just open it wide and set the output back into the kettle. That's what I do with the CFC I have now that it's on a pump.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

ICE

The cheapest and most effective option

Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzepilot

Is there anything specific you do to get the cooling water down to a sufficient enough temperature to cool the wort in one run? And do you recirculate the coolant water or do you just run it down the drain?And how difficult is the sanitization of that device?
I don't use a pre-chiller if that's what you mean. I probably should though. I try to use the outgoing water on the lawn or to clean up equipment. Sanitation hasn't been a problem yet. I clean it immediately after use by running water through it. Then prior to using again I run boiling water through it. Then sanitized water immediately before use.

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
newbies13
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I use immersion, but am looking for ways to make it work better as it's the big floppy fail in my process. I live in San Diego so my water is always warm, it takes me about 20-30 minutes to get wort down to the mid 80's and then it won't budge. From that point its a silly dance of ice and refrigerators.

Looking back I would actually consider a basic copper chiller as a failed device, since it does cool, but stops short of cooling to the point where you can continue the process. If you re looking to replace or get a wort chiller, I seriously consider a method that chills your water down before pumping it through your wort.

3D Blueprint for making your own 10Gal Mash tun

Quick Reply