Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wort cold break

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
Pirate Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Wort cold break

I was wondering...

I want to do 5 gallon full boils for my extract brews. I know I will need a wort chiller. Now the question is, how fast do you have to bring down the temp to achieve a really good cold break?

Has anyone ever packed the hose that runs into the wort chiller in to a cooler of ice. I was thinking this would drop the temp on the incoming water to the low 40's dF. and provide for quicker cooling. Is this theory wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Yeah, you can make a pre-chiller. Lots of people in the south do it because their tap water is so warm in the summer. Generally, it's a second length of coiled tubing that gets immersed in an ice bath.

My ugly-ass-sin dual-coil chiller got the wort from boiling to under 90 in about ten minutes, quick enough where I could see the cold break forming. Looks so far like this brew's going to be a lot clearer than the previous ones.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply