The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Winter snow-bank chilling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
StophJS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Winter snow-bank chilling?

Palmer makes some reference to this in his book, but I was wondering if anyone has ever actually tried just sticking their kettle in a snow bank to chill it. The old ice bath trick gets 5 gallons down in about 24 minutes from my experience, so I'm not sure if this would be better. I also think it might be better just to set it outside as opposed to sticking it in a snow bank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 797 Posts

Melting snow is likely to provide superior thermal conduction verses just sitting out in the open relying on radiational cooling. But you might have to keep moving the pot to maximize efficiency, as once the snow melts along the sides of the pot it will open up an air space, leaving just the bottom in contact with the snow...

Cheers!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i did that with one of mine, but I put it on my concrete patio and just kept packing the snow around it as it melted away. Worked good...that plus the 30 degree temps brought it down pretty good!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

A far better way to cool with the snowbank is to fill a container half way with water and shovel in snow until it won't melt any more. Put your pot in there and keep adding snow so that there is always unmelted snow floating around. The water keeps the contact with the bucket constant ensuring good heat transfer and the unmelted snow guarantees that the water is as cold as you can get it.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts

Tried this years ago thinking it would work great, but the snow quickly melts away from the kettle leaving a hot airspace. So unless you keep packing the snow around the kettle, this method does not work at all! As stated above, a mixture of snow and water works great!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/wort...orever-222865/

I imagine a kiddie pool full of snow/water/ slush would chill even a huge batch quickly.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I tried this before and it didn't work too well. Just sat the bucket in a snow bank, took about 3 1/2 hours to cool.

Chris

Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure about by you, but my cold tap water is super cold this time of year. I use my immersion chiller, and it falls to 70 much faster than during the rest of the year.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

To echo the points above, if you stick a hot kettle in a snow bank the heat from the metal will surely create an "igloo" around your vessel and insulate it, thus making it very difficult to cool down

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
spazzy
Recipes 

I brewed a batch in microbiology class, we just took the pot outside with the lid on, it was -20f that night. Tried putting it in the snow and it didnt work out so well. We just set it on the concrete for a bit, it cooled down really fast.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
I brewed a batch in microbiology class, we just took the pot outside with the lid on, it was -20f that night. Tried putting it in the snow and it didnt work out so well. We just set it on the concrete for a bit, it cooled down really fast.
see, i tried that, and when I set my pot just on the concrete (i think it was maybe -8) it took like 2 hours to come down. did you have a full 5 gallon pot?

oh, and snowbank is useless. works ok for starter worts.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Quick Reply