Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Will I regret this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Will I regret this?

So I blew 2 cornies today, and I had a beer to keg. I would normally clean and sanitize every keg before re-use, but,....I just wasn't in the mood. So I cleaned and sanitized tho outside top of the corny, gently popped her open, and siphoned away. I'm not worried about flavor mixing, as it was a porter over a pale, but as far as sanitation is concerned, was this a stupid thing to do? Have any of you every done this before?

Thanks.

Corrupt Brewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
So I blew 2 cornies today, and I had a beer to keg. I would normally clean and sanitize every keg before re-use, but,....I just wasn't in the mood. So I cleaned and sanitized tho outside top of the corny, gently popped her open, and siphoned away. I'm not worried about flavor mixing, as it was a porter over a pale, but as far as sanitation is concerned, was this a stupid thing to do? Have any of you every done this before?

Thanks.
Personally I think you are playing with fire and you know what happens sometimes when you play with fire......

I would have spent 10 minutes rinsing it out, then filling with hot water and PBW and shaking it around after running some through the dip tubes and then let it sit. After a while, give it a hot rinse, then sanitize with starsan, drain, & purge with CO2.

The whole process can be completed in 30 minutes and you'll know your beer won't go bad.

I hope it goes OK for you, but I don't recommend making it a practice, cause some day you will get burned and all that work will go down the drain.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I dunno, I don't see how this could be bad. It was sanitary when you put the beer in, and it's sealed from outside air.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Bradsul, that's exactly what I was thinking, but Ed, your right about taking a risk. However, Many years ago, some friends informed me through a blinding hangover that I had treid to light up their drapes AND their carpet the previous evening, so apparently, I like playing with fire!

Corrupt Brewers

Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Even a 1/2 gallon of sanitizer thrown in and shaken up would have been better than nothing. An added bonus is running the sanitizer out of the keg through the beer out line to clean the dip tube and poppet.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply