The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Will gelatin cause yeast to stop fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
macabra11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Gelatin has no effect on bottling in my experience. There is still enough yeast to activate with the priming sugar. It may take a bit longer than normal, but it also helps collect the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, so you can pour easier without watching for yeast sediment. That is a good thing. I would give the beer 1 week in the secondary, then chill it down and add gelatin for another week. Be sure to activate the gelatin properly.

- macabra11
B - double E - double R - U - N

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
What is this guy your little brother, you need to protect him. I apologized to the OP for being impolite.

Why is a viable question. No need to get defensive. I am just asking why. It is not really that big of a deal. I was just curious why.
I wasn't being defensive its just a lot use Irish Moss or other finings to get clearer beer . Some use both I have. Now if he said he was using clam juice or vinegar in his beer then ya Why?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm glad this thread is back on track. With that being said, I do believe that gelatin use is completely up to the brewer. Gelatin needs to be put into a cold beer, so crash cool your beer right after you know fermentation is complete (stable SG for at least 3 days). Then, keep that beer cold for a week. During that time, you may be very happy to see that the beer has clarified to your liking. If so, no need for the gelatin.

If it's still not clear enough, then add the gelatin. Either way, you're going to want to cool the beer down for a while before adding the gelatin. This helps bring out the proteins that would cause a "chill haze" in your beer. The gelatin need it to be cold in order for them to successfully hunt down the haze causing proteins and drop them out of suspension. Another few days with the gelatin and you'd be set to bottle or keg.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Acoording to a published article in Zymurgy regarding Turbid Mashes.

Gelatin has no effect on yeast in suspension, and is only effective against oppositely charged of proteins. To drop yeast, Isinglass is needed and is, IIRC, stated as the only effective product to aid in flocculation.

Gelatin does however aid in the firming up of the flocculant yeast that have dropped by trapping them in the coagulated film at bottom. Thus, making it more difficult to stir yeast back up into suspension at racking time.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
springer

Recipes 

I once gave beer to someone who after they drank the whole pint and refilled it told me she was a strict vegan ... I didn't have it in to tell them I used gelatin .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I once gave beer to someone who after they drank the whole pint and refilled it told me she was a strict vegan ... I didn't have it in to tell them I used gelatin .
Good man! If I were a pizza delivery guy I wouldn't tell the customer I spit on it......It's the right thing to do.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Meh. Properly crashed and settled how much Gelatin is really left IN the beer. If any.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Good man! If I were a pizza delivery guy I wouldn't tell the customer I spit on it......It's the right thing to do.
ohh dammit ..... I thought this guy look firmilier
pizza-deliveryjpg-702926.jpg  

Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Meh. Properly crashed and settled how much Gelatin is really left IN the beer. If any.
her and her boyfriend made me cook their Portobella mushrooms on tin foil on the grill .... Didn't want it touching the rack where meat could have been at one time ...

Old 07-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
kip
Recipes 

Cool thanks for the info all. And yes I do like having clear beer. It is mostly for my guests benefit but I like it too.

Generally I add gelatin when racking to the secondary but maybe I'll skip the secondary this time and just dump it straight into the keg chill it then add gelatin the next day and see what happens......

Quick Reply