Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why Whirlpool?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Why Whirlpool?

I keep seeing people that want to whirlpool their wort after a boil. Why would you want to do this? I know you will seperate alot of the trube from the wort but you will seperate it after primary fermentation anyway, right? Is there some bad or off flavors that it creates? I have a false bottom in my keggle so I don't get any of the hops, but I get alot of the wort, down to 1 or 2 oz left in the bottom, trube and all. What are the benefits of whirlpooling?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
johnsmith098

Recipes 

I wolld also like to know whats the difference or explaine it more clearly to me

kegged, German Hefeweizen, Redstaff ESB, Calif. pale ale
glass carboy - Apfelwine
secondary- lawnmower
prim 1- Vienna Amber
prim 2- West Coast Red

Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not only does whirl pooling try to remove the hops but also the cold break. The cold break and hops can clog counter flow chillers.

For a pretty good explanation:
Wiki: Whirlpooling

Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I like leaving behind particulate matter at each juncture. First line of defense is vorlaufing, then I use hop bags, then I whirlpool. My beer is crystal clear leaving the kettle. Then, after the ferment, I crash cool, and that drops even more protein/yeast out of solution. I gently siphon, and the beer is clear as a bell in the keg. So, in short...that's why I whirlpool

Old 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So it's all about clarity or does it affect the taste of the final product? If it's just about clarity then it's not worth it for me. I can just let it sit around and fall out in fermenters. Might not be as sparkling crystal clear but I'm fine with that. IF you recycled while boiling or at the end of the boil would a hop bag catch most of the trube or is it too fine?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 10-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I can't speak to any difference in taste, it's just a preference. I imagine recirculating in your boil with a hop bag would work, but you'll catch a lot more if you cool and catch all the proteins from the cold break.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Regardless of the amount of cold break you get out of the kettle, the yeast will chew it up and spit it out during fermentation. This primary is an example of substantial cold break...right out of the kettle.

Eventually, the stuff settled down to about 1 inch of compact trub which I siphoned around. This was a Kolsh and turned out crystal clear.
chiller_filter_1.jpg

That said, avoiding sediment of any kind in my fermenter is the reason I won't go with a spigot. I prefer to rack my beer out of the keg from inside my chiller filter.

chiller_filter_5.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

With a false bottom, you won't gain much whirlpooling the kettle. I use a bazooka tube and it really reduces clogging if I've used pellet hops at some point.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ah, a helpful hint is being told that after whirlpooling you must wait 20-30 min for it to all settle... I didnt see anything at the bottom of my kettle but i surely saw particulate in the wort as i poured it into the fermenter. I dont know if its worth letting your vulnerable temperature wort hang out for 20-30 minutes...isnt that why you bought a chiller???

Sorry about the bump, saw the date after posted. Still a valid concern for many. And a good link to wiki I havent seen.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #10
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I whirlpool (stir) the heck out of it while the chiller is in.it cools the wort faster for one. then let it settle

Quick Reply