Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is my beer better when bottled with oats?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
i didn't sanitize anything..not only are they dried, but the 6.0%+/- alc took care of any contamination.
Can't be too sure here. The souring bacteria of a beer such as a Berliner Weisse is generally introduced post fermentation, and the source of the bacteria is sometimes raw grain because it is such a nutrient rich environment for the little buggers.

As far as flavor changes from 5 little flakes of oats, meh, but yea or nay I do like the addition of oats to certain styles, stouts in particular.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have scientific data backing up me saying that the oats did anything, only my taster and my friends..and yes they were side by side on the way to town last saturday evening. we were both really amazed at the difference...it was extremely noticable! try it..what can it hurt? ruining one beer?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

even if the oat thing isn't safe...the beer was very not spoiled and tasted great. i will probably try it agin to see if i have the same results.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
saq
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 11 Posts

You are probably going to end up with bottle bombs doing this. Lactobacillus will be all over a raw unsanitized grain of oat, and probably other stuff too. Over time they will ferment out additional sugars leftover and make the bottles explode, its a bit of a mess to clean up and after a while it is going to dramatically alter (towards being a very sour beer) the flavor of the beer. I would stop this practice completely without hesitation.

If you like the flavor the oat is giving you, you should experiment with putting oat in your recipes, they can give certain beer styles a particularly interesting twist ie porter/stout/etc.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

+1 sag. You might have perceived a slight increase in carbonation due to a little lacto activity.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #16
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I agree that it is poor practice, but i do not agree that the taste is due to the placebo effect. It obviously took away the dry after taste of the beer. Is dryness due to the type of yeast? or otherwise
Chalk it up to the placebo effect or pure coincidence but the only thing you are adding to your beer by dumping in 5 oat flakes in the bottle is potential trouble. Fully agree with Yuri here in that it is certainly poor practice. First, all grains harbor lots of bacteria. They aren't harmful but they can inoculate an infection causing at best off flavors and at worst bottle bombs. Second, oats or any other unmalted grain is basically a collection of starches, proteins, lipids and assorted other minor ingredients. You don't want the proteins and lipids in your beer and unless the starches are converted to fermentable sugars they are only going to sit there and do nothing with the possilbe exception of clouding your beer. Third, there isn't enough on anything in the mass of five oat flakes to do much good assuming any of the potential bad things do happen.

If the process pleases you and you like the beer then go ahead an continue the practice but if you are looking for validation or any logical reason to do it I have none.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I think i'll take the advise you all have given me and not do it again. But i may try mashing oats in my next porter. thanks for the input.

happy brewing!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 AM   #18
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
But i may try mashing oats in my next porter. thanks for the input.

happy brewing!
Now that's a good idea.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #19
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
You are probably going to end up with bottle bombs doing this. Lactobacillus will be all over a raw unsanitized grain of oat, and probably other stuff too. Over time they will ferment out additional sugars leftover and make the bottles explode, its a bit of a mess to clean up and after a while it is going to dramatically alter (towards being a very sour beer) the flavor of the beer. I would stop this practice completely without hesitation.

If you like the flavor the oat is giving you, you should experiment with putting oat in your recipes, they can give certain beer styles a particularly interesting twist ie porter/stout/etc.
Not that I'm in favor of adding anything at bottling, but the lacto scare "shouldn't" be something I'd worry about. Naturally occuring strains of Lactobacillus has an alcohol tolerance somewhere around 3% (Wyeast has a blend that goes to 8%, but it's engineered that way). So as long as your brew is stronger than that, you shouldn't have a problem with lacto bottle bombs.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #20
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

cimirie, how is your fat tire clone? I have that in my primary right now. what what your OG? mine was 1.056. maybe a "little" on the high side but it'll do.

Quick Reply