Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is Ice for cooling wort bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #41
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post
I find it funny how many people will obsess over things like this but never stop to consider how many germs are on the counter top they lay their stirring spoon on throughout the brewing process.
I was playing fetch with the dog the last time I Corona-milled my grain. I figured maybe I'd get some extra amylase out of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #42
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0
I find it funny how many people will obsess over things like this but never stop to consider how many germs are on the counter top they lay their stirring spoon on throughout the brewing process.
how many people do that? I assume you know, since you think it's funny.

Sorry, couldn't help but call you on what appears to be a completely hypothetical straw man. :-D

Fake it til you make it.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #43
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

I used to boil and freeze water to cool wort all the time. It worked very well, and I never had an infected batch when I used it. The only issue with it is it takes up a lot of freezer space. I live in a condo, so I don't have the room for a second freezer. SWMBO was getting pissed at me for taking up all the freezer space, so I recently built a wort chiller.

If you have the freezer space, ice is a viable option. Just be sure to boil it before freezing.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #44
TexLuther
Recipes 

Or do this - fill some ziploc bags with ice water. Zip them up. Dunk them in your bucket of Star-San. Be sure the sanitizer gets to the zip closure. Drop them into the wort.

Double bag if you're paranoid.

Tex

Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #45
truebe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the way people tack on trivial steps to their sanitation process is like depositing pennies into a million dollar bank account. theres going to be plenty of rogue microorganisms no matter how crazy anal you are. but its beer and it will beat those things into submission.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #46
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Seriously.

I use bagged ice All. The. Time. It simply works. Ice purchased from the grocery around here has been irradiated and is pure spring water. So long as no holes are in the bag, I use it. Been doing that for years upon years.

I use a copper-coil wort chiller for my full-boil batches because I don't want to deal with dilution effects or calculate high-gravity-wort brewing.

I actually get a better break formation with the ice. If I expect to rack the beer to secondary, I'll leave it alone. If I want to keep it in the primary (mild, bitter, etc.), I'll use two buckets and treat the first - with the ice - as a whirlpool, racking off the break into the actual fermenter.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 05-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #47
cstricklan
Recipes 

I thought I'd revive this thread to recommend that the responsible use of top up ice to chill can be very accurate by using the tool: http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm
I recently hit my desired pitching temp exactly with this calculation. Note you can ignore the units, the calculation is all about ratios.

As for the technique, I'm blessed with a big chest freezer that's not very full, so I just sanitize my fermenter, fill it with the desired amount of water from the tap filter, put the lid on, and throw it in the freezer. Then on brewing day I dump my wort into the frozen fermenter. Freezing temperatures do of course inhibit the growth of bacteria and mold, so I figure it's pretty safe.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #48
CoolBrewing
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I have never had a problem with commercial water and just throwing them in the freezer for a few hours so they are slightly frozen. But I could just be lucky

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #49
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Seriously.

I use bagged ice All. The. Time. It simply works. Ice purchased from the grocery around here has been irradiated and is pure spring water. So long as no holes are in the bag, I use it. Been doing that for years upon years.

I use a copper-coil wort chiller for my full-boil batches because I don't want to deal with dilution effects or calculate high-gravity-wort brewing.

I actually get a better break formation with the ice. If I expect to rack the beer to secondary, I'll leave it alone. If I want to keep it in the primary (mild, bitter, etc.), I'll use two buckets and treat the first - with the ice - as a whirlpool, racking off the break into the actual fermenter.

Cheers,

Bob

I'll be honest. I've had my immersion chiller for a few months now, and I kind of miss using ice. Easier to work with, less stuff to clean, and believe it or not it cooled the beer faster. I'm almost tempted to go back to doing partial boils so I can go back to the ice.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #50
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
When I did extract/partial boils I used to pre-boil water and cool it in an ice/water bath (just like you would with wort), then I would put it in an airtight container that was soaked in starsan and freeze it. When frozen I would plop the big sanatized ice cube in my wort to chill it fast and supply top-off water.. Never a problem!
This is basically how I chill my wort. I tweaked my method as I went along to perfect it. Since I live in an apartment without a utility sink, an IC or CFC is not an option. I freeze about a gallon and a half of boiled water in sanitized containers then add ice as needed to hot wort to reach ~70F. Usually cools the wort down in about 10 minutes. I get good cold break and have not had issues with infection or hot side aeration yet.

Quick Reply