The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is Ice for cooling wort bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
beninan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5
Why do you keep adding steps to boiling top off water? I surmise it is straw man argument.
I keep the water in the same container I boiled (thus keeping it sanitized). There is no second container for cooling. I said I boiled & covered, then let it sit overnight. cheers.
My mistake. I was under the impression that it would have been transferred to another container.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #32
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I fail to see the problem with using ice to chill wort. It does the job rather well, and in most circumstances, its just as clean, if not more clean, than filtered water from your faucet.

If people everywhere can get away using that water than I see no reason why anyone says that freezing the same water makes it any less sanitized (especially if you keep your water sealed in the freezer)

Old 04-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #33
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

How nasty are your ice trays?

Ice thats been in your freezer for weeks/months with the ripped open french fry bag dropping frozen tasty wonderfulness on your cubes WILL contaminate your beer.

clean, sanitized trays treated like a piece of brewing equipment with fresh tap water prepped the night before brew day is pretty darn safe.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #34
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used ice for a while and had no problems with it but I think I dodged a bullet. Problem is the ice isn't made with sterile water and it was probably made with chlorinated water which isn't good either. Also, ice can pick up off flavors from your freezer. Ever notice how ice sometimes smells "oniony?" That is not a flavor you want to add to your beer.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #35
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ice is dirty. Unless you make it yourself and clean everything that touches it beforehand.

For an example an ice machine I used recently poured out ice when I pressed the lever....it also poured out ice laden with random black specks imbedded in the ice. From heads of a pin size to shirt button size....Gross.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #36
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
How nasty are your ice trays?

Ice thats been in your freezer for weeks/months with the ripped open french fry bag dropping frozen tasty wonderfulness on your cubes WILL contaminate your beer.

clean, sanitized trays treated like a piece of brewing equipment with fresh tap water prepped the night before brew day is pretty darn safe.
exactly what I do. 4 red cups rinsed out and sterilized with hot steam, filled with filtered water and frozen with plastic baggies covering the tops 3 days before brewing time (it takes about a day or two for the water to completely freeze through)

I haven't done it much (I'm a new brewer and only tried this once) but I have high hopes that my brew will do well ^^

Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #37
dragonbreath11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To lessen effects of contamination, why not just freeze the water in a temp safe plastic container (1-2 gallins)? When you're ready to use it, sanitize and drop in the container? This allows you the benefits of full wort boils and you don't have to buy ice.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #38
quick5pnt0
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find it funny how many people will obsess over things like this but never stop to consider how many germs are on the counter top they lay their stirring spoon on throughout the brewing process.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #39
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Why increase the potential for an infection? People who say they haven't gotten one from this are only playing with fire. Use a Wort Chiller or Boil some water a couple days ahead and chill in the fridge in a sanitized bucker or carboy. But don't tempt the God' of Infection as it will catch up to you.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

During the Brewing process you have a boil going, my spoon stays in the kettle while brewing and cooling, it becomes critical once you begin to cool your wort as far as infection are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post
I find it funny how many people will obsess over things like this but never stop to consider how many germs are on the counter top they lay their stirring spoon on throughout the brewing process.

Quick Reply