The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why dry hop? Or, Making Hop "Bitters"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Does the beer obtain the same mouthfeel that dry hopping adds? To me, dry hopping adds not only aroma, but a sharp, tangy mouth feel from the hop oils.

If not, I would say that would be a con.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There are a handful of similar products on the market - very cool that you can do it from home. Apparently there are some that are aroma only - maybe you'll be able to get to that point in your next experiment.

http://www.hoptech.com/products/iso-alpha-extract-2-oz

I did notice that these hop extracts are recommended for use post fermentation. I've been trying to chase down the non-isomerized version in bulk for boil additions, but all I can find is the hop shots.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
To me, dry hopping adds not only aroma, but a sharp, tangy mouth feel from the hop oils.
I also notice that dry-hopped beers also SEEM to be more carbonated, and I back off the priming just a bit as a result. This probably has to do with the surface tension and bubble formation or something.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Camping57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The flavor profile from this method will not be the same as dry hopping because you are getting only alcohol soluble products, not the water soluble ones that you get from a regular dry hop. I don't see what the advantage is.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm in the skeptical camp on this one as well, for a couple of the previously described reasons by ReverseApacheMaster and Camping57. This is not a new concept. There are a few studies out there which discredit this method. I just never favorited them in my browser to repost them here.

Also, I wouldn't want distilled spirits added to my beer, just as I wouldn't want beer added to my distilling spirits. A 1/3 to 1/2 cup or so is okay for something like rum soaked vanilla beans in a dark beer, but you'd be using more spirits than that for attempting to mimic dryhopping in a pale IPA. Even so, you cannot say that your 1 pint of spirits with 1 oz. of dryhops will offer more aroma in the end vs. no spirits via a traditional dryhop with say 3 oz. The amount of extraction and sustained aroma is not greater with the tincture method and no money or time is really saved in the end.

Quick Reply