Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why doesn't everyone just BIAB?
View Poll Results: How do you brew?
I BIAB 294 34.83%
I use a 3 vessel system 339 40.17%
I don't brew all-grain, I'm an extract brewer 100 11.85%
What's BIAB? 22 2.61%
I use a system that doesn't fit into the other categories 89 10.55%
Voters: 844. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #81
mcduhamel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I started BIAB very recently, after using a partial mash for years. I think the principal reason more people don't use BIAB is because it gets almost no coverage in publications like Zymurgy, and when it does, it is presented as a half measure for people who can't brew "for real." I find that this method works very well for my 5 gallon batches, produces better beer than my old partial mash technique, and doesn't require me to either spend tons of money on a tiered system or go get an engineering degree to figure out how to build one on my own. I'll likely never brew another batch that is not BIAB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #82
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I liked brew in a bag but with my 10 gallon kettle, I noticed that bigger beers were tougher to make consistently. I had a cooler and stainless braid lying around anyway, so a batch sparge tun cost me next to nothing, and now every beer is consistent gravity wise, so THAT makes it easier for me. I'd still do BIAB if needed though, still would and do extract and PM also. For me it's about using what works for me when I need it.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #83
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I brew 11 gal batches in a simple 2-vessel system (keggle+cooler MTL). I tried a 5 gal BIAB once and this is what I found: wet grains was not heavy to lift at all, and the beer was clear, but I lost about 20% (1.5 gal) of the fermenter space due to thick and heavy slurry, and i could not reuse the yeast anymore because there was too much crap in the bottom of the fermenter. Also I had to mix the mash the whole time to avoid differences in temperatures in the bottom of the vessel and the top. Too much work for me. Cooler MTL + boiling kettle is much easier.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #84
truebe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know much about BIAB so I'm just curious. If you get significant amounts of grain dust in the boil then doest that lead to problems with proteins like chill haze? or things like astringency? I'll hang up and listen.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #85
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebe
I don't know much about BIAB so I'm just curious. If you get significant amounts of grain dust in the boil then doest that lead to problems with proteins like chill haze? or things like astringency? I'll hang up and listen.
I believe things like chill haze is reduced with a good cold break. These proteins will be present if you biab or not. While there may be more proportionally, I believe that they will still fall out and give you clear beer. While I have not had my beers "professionally" analyzed for chill haze, I have had some very clear beers with no noticeable chill haze.

As far as astringency goes, I've also wondered that too. But I didn't notice any in my brews where I didn't filter the wort at all and just poured the wort straight into the fermentor. But just as a precaution now, I just semi filter my wort by siphoning my wort through a "steeping" bag laid across my fermentation bucket. Yeah, sure, its a little more work, but I don't mind it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #86
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Personally, haze and cloudy brews don't bother me, especially if it's an awesome recipe. I don't put my beers in contests and while I understand some want that pristine look, I'm just looking for a great tasting beer.
My beef is lifting 14 lbs of wet grain by hand. Gotta find a better way on the cheap.I ain't getting any younger and help is never around when you need it.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #87
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'd been brewing for about 18 years before I ever even heard of BIAB, and have all the equipment, knowledge and experience with 10 gallon all grain brewing so why change what works.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #88
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkybstewart
I'd been brewing for about 18 years before I ever even heard of BIAB, and have all the equipment, knowledge and experience with 10 gallon all grain brewing so why change what works.
That isn't really the point to starting this thread. I'm not trying to convert anybody to BIAB. If you have invested time and money into a nice setup, then by all means use it. I know I would if I had it. But BIAB is more suited to 5 gallons and less.

I'd be interested in another poll that shows people's sizes of brewing. I'd suspect that the majority is 5 gallons (70%ish). In that case, then BIAB is more suitable for them.

What I am really interested in is the poll. I just wanted to see what the approximate percentage of people BIAB. I'm actually surprised. I didn't think it would be so split.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #89
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust41485 View Post
That isn't really the point to starting this thread. I'm not trying to convert anybody to BIAB. If you have invested time and money into a nice setup, then by all means use it. I know I would if I had it. But BIAB is more suited to 5 gallons and less.

I'd be interested in another poll that shows people's sizes of brewing. I'd suspect that the majority is 5 gallons (70%ish). In that case, then BIAB is more suitable for them.

What I am really interested in is the poll. I just wanted to see what the approximate percentage of people BIAB. I'm actually surprised. I didn't think it would be so split.
I'm sorry. I misunderstood the title of the thread.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #90
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

I almost never brew any larger than a 5 gal. batch and I consider BIAB unmanageable for it.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply