Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why doesn't everyone just BIAB?
View Poll Results: How do you brew?
I BIAB 295 34.87%
I use a 3 vessel system 340 40.19%
I don't brew all-grain, I'm an extract brewer 100 11.82%
What's BIAB? 22 2.60%
I use a system that doesn't fit into the other categories 89 10.52%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #181
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

I've done BIAB and I currently use a 3 vessel system. Handling a back of 170f grains that's heavy as hell (I brew big beers, and a 5.5G batch has 15+lb of grain and 15+ lbs of water absorbed in it) and is a sticky mess is my primary reason for not doing it.

One more vessel to clean is preferable to me then handling that mess. The pulley system would probably help this, but getting the right bag, making sure you have the right crush, setting up a pulley, and still getting slightly less extraction from your grain makes me glad that I do it the traditional way.

I understand that for money or other reasons though, another vessel isn't always an option, but if it is, it's preferable to me..and as yooper mentioned, it adds the flexibility of herms for temperature control.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Frogmanx82 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #182
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

"

Quote:
Still, I'm about 4.5 hours on a 5.5 gallon batch and 5 hours on an 11 gallon batch.
"

That's super fast. I need at least an hour to clean after I pitch, and that's usually about 45minutes from flameout. I also do 90minute mashes and 90 minute boils. I realize I could save an hour right there, but like you, I'm not in a race, so I prefer the results of the long mash and long boil.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #183
Frogmanx82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
" "

That's super fast. I need at least an hour to clean after I pitch, and that's usually about 45minutes from flameout. I also do 90minute mashes and 90 minute boils. I realize I could save an hour right there, but like you, I'm not in a race, so I prefer the results of the long mash and long boil.
Maybe its in the clean up where another set of hands is helping cut the time.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #184
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Maybe its in the clean up where another set of hands is helping cut the time.
Yeah, probably. I did do an entire brewday in just under 5 hours once. But I WAS trying to be as efficient and fast as possible, but in the end, my attitude is a bit like yours: It's a hobby, it's fun, it's not a race. So now I just block out 8 hours and if I'm done in 6 I'm pretty stoked.

Still kudo's on your process, sounds dialed and efficient.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #185
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Knocked out a BIAB in 5 hours last night after work.

That being said I'll never do it after work again. After a 10 hour day plus the brew I was exhausted. Still, 5 hours with cleaning and sanitizing ain't bad for a 700sq ft apartment home brew.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #186
tknice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's my 4-4.5 hour BIAB brewday in a nutshell. This assumes a 60 minute mash and boil, I crush the night before, and (if I need to be fast) don't drink too much while brewing haha.

Sometimes I don't mashout if I'm short on time. I suggest writing down all of your steps and look for places to save time such as gathering equipment while strike water is heating etc. This goes for BIAB or Traditional 3 vessel.
How to Make Starters
How to Clean Kegs
How to Rack Beer to a Keg
241 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #187
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I use a mash tun made from a 52 quart cooler that has a stainless grill fitted to the bottom. The grill rides about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom and fits against all four walls. The one end has been shaped so it rests on top of the inner spigot. The spigot has been replaced with a CPVC valve. Before mashing I fit a Voile curtain into the cooler so it fits against the walls and flat to the grill on the bottom.

Once the cooler is preheated I drain the water, dump in my water then dough in the grains. Never had the voile come off the walls or away from the bottom even with vigorous mixing. After a good batch sparge I tilt the cooler to get out the small amount of bottom runnings.

The curtain panel lifts out (still have enough muscle left for 12-13 pond grain bills.LOL) and is usually pretty well drained.

I quess this is a hybrid method, but it gives me great numbers on the hydrometer and am always in the 80% range.

bosco

Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #188
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My brewday is really fast.

Yeast starter made at least 36 hours in advance.
About 10 minutes of setup (getting the propane burner out, carrying up the equipment from the basement.
Then 5-10 minutes measuring ingredients (typically done the night before)
15-20 minutes heating strike water. The last few minutes of this I preheat my mash tun with the hot water from my faucet.
Mash for 1 hour. During this time I heat sparge water and mixup starsan in my fermenter.
Batch sparge (less than 10 minutes with the drain, add water, stir like a mad man, drain again)
Boil for 1 hour. During this time I clean my mash tun and put away all equipment not needed (IE bowls for hops after the addition, etc).
Cool the wort for 15 minutes (During this time I take everything out of the fermenter and fill a spray bottle with starsan from the fermenter)
Whirlpool wort for 10-15 minutes
Transfer wort to fermenter 2-3 minutes tops
Decant and pitch yeast (1 minute tops?)
Move fermenter into basement and attach airlock.
Clean boil kettle (around 10 minutes)

Total time is a little over 4 hours, sometimes a little under 4 hours. The trick is to clean as you go, not to brew then clean.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #189
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagee View Post
My brewday is really fast.

Yeast starter made at least 36 hours in advance.
About 10 minutes of setup (getting the propane burner out, carrying up the equipment from the basement.
Then 5-10 minutes measuring ingredients (typically done the night before)
15-20 minutes heating strike water. The last few minutes of this I preheat my mash tun with the hot water from my faucet.
Mash for 1 hour. During this time I heat sparge water and mixup starsan in my fermenter.
Batch sparge (less than 10 minutes with the drain, add water, stir like a mad man, drain again)
Boil for 1 hour. During this time I clean my mash tun and put away all equipment not needed (IE bowls for hops after the addition, etc).
Cool the wort for 15 minutes (During this time I take everything out of the fermenter and fill a spray bottle with starsan from the fermenter)
Whirlpool wort for 10-15 minutes
Transfer wort to fermenter 2-3 minutes tops
Decant and pitch yeast (1 minute tops?)
Move fermenter into basement and attach airlock.
Clean boil kettle (around 10 minutes)

Total time is a little over 4 hours, sometimes a little under 4 hours. The trick is to clean as you go, not to brew then clean.
Thread drift.....but I'm glad you're so fast. Some things can't be cleaned as you go...like a kettle (which I soak for 30minutes in PBW with my IC), a pump an IC, tubing, fittings, burners, starter container, the floor, the towels etc...and also, while it's ideal to multi task, there's a modicum of attention that has to be paid to whats going on during the brew itself..but that's just my experience.

I have no problem with my brewday process or timetable. I know I have room to improve, but again, it's not a race. It's a craft afterall. Stoked you guys have it so well dialed....and btw, I DO BIAB sometimes, and have done that hybrid bag/false bottom thing before too, but I found the bag to be an unneccesary step.

BTW, whether you do stuff the day before or not (starter, crush grain etc) I still count it as part of my brewday, because it's required work. But that's just me.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #190
Milan37
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My BIAB IPA scored a 36 in the MALT Turkeyshoot contest this year. Didn't win, place, or show, but it apparently "advanced to a mini-BOS round," whatever that is. My highest score was a 38, and no flaws were documented other than a lack of balance noted by one judge (which I thought was a good thing for an American IPA, but OK).

Takes me 4-5 hours start-finish and I don't stress about it along the way.

Quick Reply