The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why doesn't everyone just BIAB?

View Poll Results: How do you brew?
I BIAB 294 35.00%
I use a 3 vessel system 336 40.00%
I don't brew all-grain, I'm an extract brewer 99 11.79%
What's BIAB? 22 2.62%
I use a system that doesn't fit into the other categories 89 10.60%
Voters: 840. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #161
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looked at your set up earlier......
you have a great set up which shows you put some good thinking into developing it.

i 'm considering moving to this set up but have some reservations..cons: #1 i have this thing about using plastic in a heated solution....plastics migrate in heat as well as cold. i'm thinking a cooler isn't made of food grade plastic which is supposed to be stable or more stable than non food grade. #2 need a pump...
i guess the best scenario is a S.S. cooler or buying some 4" styrene making a insulation box with a top to house the mash tun during mashing. this would get me around the plastic thing i don't feel comfortable about.

that fold up rack is a bomb.....saving for that!

again, great job putting this together!

GD51

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #162
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

A cooler is made from HDPE. That's as close to food grade (and used for food grade products) as you're going to get.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #163
Jimmy_B
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmodog51 View Post
looked at your set up earlier......
you have a great set up which shows you put some good thinking into developing it.

i 'm considering moving to this set up but have some reservations..cons: #1 i have this thing about using plastic in a heated solution....plastics migrate in heat as well as cold. i'm thinking a cooler isn't made of food grade plastic which is supposed to be stable or more stable than non food grade. #2 need a pump...
i guess the best scenario is a S.S. cooler or buying some 4" styrene making a insulation box with a top to house the mash tun during mashing. this would get me around the plastic thing i don't feel comfortable about.

that fold up rack is a bomb.....saving for that!

again, great job putting this together!

GD51
As Denny said, the coolers are safe.

As well, if you're doing a no sparge BIAB, your strike water will generally be lower; my strike water is normally about 160* .

As for the pump, it's not really necessary. I only use it because I had it from my single tier setup.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #164
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_B

As Denny said, the coolers are safe.

As well, if you're doing a no sparge BIAB, your strike water will generally be lower; my strike water is normally about 160* .

As for the pump, it's not really necessary. I only use it because I had it from my single tier setup.
I use coolers but have often wondered about their inertness. Is there a source to confirm their food worthiness at mashing temperatures?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #165
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I do both BIAB and 3 vessel system.

Depending on my mood and recipe, sometimes it's preferential for the simplicity of BIAB.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #166
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
I use coolers but have often wondered about their inertness. Is there a source to confirm their food worthiness at mashing temperatures?
Look up the qualities of HDPE.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #167
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Are all-grain vs. extract and glass vs. plastic the Pepsi/Coke of this forum?

I'm a bit of a gun nut so it's the same for AK vs. AR, Colt vs. Glock on other forums. Things seem to get contentious when a lot of time and resources are invested in a passion. Everyone's got their preference for their own reasons. The point is to enjoy the differences in approach and be civil.

Fermenting: No Boil Saison
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak/Brett C), Fire Badger (Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse on Brett C/B/L), Bear Force One (Wee Rye Stout)
On Tap: Lawn Gnomad Saison

Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #168
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrheinous View Post
Are all-grain vs. extract and glass vs. plastic the Pepsi/Coke of this forum?

I'm a bit of a gun nut so it's the same for AK vs. AR, Colt vs. Glock on other forums. Things seem to get contentious when a lot of time and resources are invested in a passion. Everyone's got their preference for their own reasons. The point is to enjoy the differences in approach and be civil.
i agree whole heartedly. this form shouldn't be a venue to defend each brewers preference's but a forum of exchange, of ideas, trials & errors and support to each other in the pursuit of juice of the barely!

GD51

Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #169
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_B View Post
My all grain adventures started out on a 3 vessel single tier system. Brew days were long, there was a lot of lifting involved for cleaning, extra time spent cleaning, more steps involved, the possibility of a stuck sparge, etc.
In your set up you still have to clean 2 things, the tun, and the BK which is the same as what I have to do in a three pot system. The benefit of the HLT is lots of hot water on demand, it doesn't need cleaning. Having this hot water on demand speeds up a brew day when you mash out, to get your preboil volume up to boil temp too. I fail to see the time/cleaning savings you get by using a bag instead of false bottom.

In my false bottom set up I batch sparge wide open too.

Nothing wrong with your setup or anything I just don't see how it is a time saver. On my rig I can crank out an 11G brew day in about 4 hours, what are you getting? i.e. you can't brew "faster" with BIAB than another system. You still need to mash, boil, chill.

I have no issue with BIAB because that is what gets a lot of new guys into all grain (did for me too). It is a great way to set up on the cheap and brew. However I wouldn't consider your setup BIAB, I would call that a 2 pot system with a BIAB bag instead of a false bottom. BIAB is typically a 1 pot setup that you use the bag in to mash, followed by your boil. No tun or HLT.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #170
Jimmy_B
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
In your set up you still have to clean 2 things, the tun, and the BK which is the same as what I have to do in a three pot system. The benefit of the HLT is lots of hot water on demand, it doesn't need cleaning. Having this hot water on demand speeds up a brew day when you mash out, to get your preboil volume up to boil temp too. I fail to see the time/cleaning savings you get by using a bag instead of false bottom.

In my false bottom set up I batch sparge wide open too.

Nothing wrong with your setup or anything I just don't see how it is a time saver. On my rig I can crank out an 11G brew day in about 4 hours, what are you getting? i.e. you can't brew "faster" with BIAB than another system. You still need to mash, boil, chill.

I have no issue with BIAB because that is what gets a lot of new guys into all grain (did for me too). It is a great way to set up on the cheap and brew. However I wouldn't consider your setup BIAB, I would call that a 2 pot system with a BIAB bag instead of a false bottom. BIAB is typically a 1 pot setup that you use the bag in to mash, followed by your boil. No tun or HLT.

It's still brewing in a bag - just not a single vessel.

If I had a practical way to do a single vessel BIAB and maintain mash temperature while I'm out grocery shopping, etc. I would. I only recently started using the cooler because my keggle was losing way too much heat. With that being said, the cooler BIAB setup allows for more flexibility because I CAN sparge if I want to, freeing up space in the cooler for a larger batch or a higher gravity brew. The extra time required for the cooler BIAB vs standard BIAB is VERY minimal. With this method I can brew a batch is 3.5hrs from setup to everything cleaned and put away...there's no way I was doing that on my old 3 vessel system.

As for cleaning the mash tun...There's no need to scoop grain out of the cooler or get in the nooks & crannies - just pull the bag out and all that's left in the cooler is a bit of wort. A quick spray will clean it out completely. It's literally a 1 minute procedure.

It all comes down to what works best for you. This is my 3rd variation of brewing that I've used (3 vessel single tier, 1 vessel BIAB, 2 vessel BIAB), and for me, it works the best.

Quick Reply