Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why Cold Crash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #11
McLovinBeast577
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
Not a workable plan. Even after a week-long crash at in the mid-30's, there's still plenty of yeast in the beer to eat that stuff once it warms up to a temp at which the yeast can operate. Now, if in addition to crashing you add potassium sorbate (0.5 tsp per gallon) when you rack out of the primary, you can flavor and sweeten without the yeast going to town on it. I do that on my ciders (which use ale yeast), but then if I want to carb them up, I must do so with a CO2 tank/reg.

Other benefits of crashing are that it really helps to firm up the trub layer (making it harder to pick up in the siphon) and results in much less bottle trub if you sugar carb. I do mine at 35*F for 5-7 days.

Not as well as if you prime/bottle it cold. There's no reason to warm it back up before bottling. Once the beer inside the bottles warms up, the yeast will wake up and eat the priming sugar.

This makes more sense now, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply