The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why brew a lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Huh, I never realized it was til you mentioned it and I googled it. Interesting.

See OP, you learn something new everyday.
I hadnt either until I starting thinking about brewing one.

It makes sense though, there is a cleaness and richness of malt flavor that I havent tasted in other porters(ales).

Its probably my favorite dark beer style, not that I dont love a nice Imperial Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
GaryJohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Hmmm, good reasonings and insights so far, thanks!

I know there many different types of delicious lagers out there... I was more thinking along the lines of "I want to brew a Celebrator clone...why would I use a lager yeast? Why not make it techinacally and ale and save myself time some trouble (fermenting low with a clean ale yeast). Is the difference worth it?"

I mean, I've never had a Celebrator brewed with an ale yeast, so I can't say. I love full flavor beers, but I also love clean and crisp lighter beers too. I'm more curious if ale and lager yeasts are really so different. It seems that the clean/crispness of a great lager cannot be matched by an ale, from what I'm reading...it lets the malt/hop flavored through more on their own...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I've yet to find a "clean ale yeast" that matches or even nears the cleanliness of a lager yeast, especially for the "fizzy yellow" variety of them. With darker styles, maybe, but even the most cleanest ale yeast, no matter what temp you try brewing it at, it's not totally clean.

I think the biggest thing is the lager phase, in the cold the yeast still continues to go back and clean up after itself. Even better than an ale yeast in a long secondary or extended primary.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJohn View Post
It seems that the clean/crispness of a great lager cannot be matched by an ale, from what I'm reading...it lets the malt/hop flavored through more on their own...
Bingo...The low temps lagers are fermented at theres no other way to get that crisp body, thus ale yeasts do not perform in those temp ranges and cannot achieve this profile

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Dont forget Baltic Porters Revvy

@ the OP. I am about to start into lagers soon and the main reason is they are a different animal that I want to drink and brew. Im going to start with a czech pilsner and then do a Baltic Porter.

As for the added expense of temperature control, you should have that for ales anyways, if you are doing it right.
I'm fermenting a Baltic Porter right now w/an ale yeast. Temp is 58*F and after a week it's still got bubbles in the airlock.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Conditioning Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this one, but I'm wondering why people brew lagers over ales.
I don't brew lagers over ales, I brew lagers in addition to ales. Why? Because I like them. I suspect many others who brew them do so for the same reason.

Quote:
If its a clean taste profile that is desired, won't a clean-fermenting ale yeast do?
No, it won't. A clean ale yeast still does not produce the same beer as a lager yeast.

Quote:
Is the extra equipment (temp control) and time needed really worth it?
That's up to you. If you don't like lagers I'm not going to try and talk you into brewing one. If you don't like them it may be because you've never had a good one. The world of lagers is very broad as is pointed out in the posts above.

You really don't need any extra equipment if you already have a beer fridge and live in a cold climate. (My basement is currently at 50F and will probably stay there for a couple of months) If not you do have to provide an environment suitable for lager fermentation as well as the lagering itself.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
I don't brew lagers over ales, I brew lagers in addition to ales. Why? Because I like them. I suspect many others who brew them do so for the same reason.

No, it won't. A clean ale yeast still does not produce the same beer as a lager yeast.

That's up to you. If you don't like lagers I'm not going to try and talk you into brewing one. If you don't like them it may be because you've never had a good one. The world of lagers is very broad as is pointed out in the posts above.

You really don't need any extra equipment if you already have a beer fridge and live in a cold climate. (My basement is currently at 50F and will probably stay there for a couple of months) If not you do have to provide an environment suitable for lager fermentation as well as the lagering itself.

And if you live in a clime like Michigan, OR CHICAGO, with a winter, you don't even have to get all fancy smancy.....Ugly junk 2012, Ghetto Lagering Chamber

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

A world without lager is just as bad as a world without ale.

Helles is brilliant in it's taste and origin.

If Celebrator didn't exist, my life would be incomplete.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
DenverUSMC
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I love brewing crystal clear lagers in addition to my ales. I also love the challenge of brewing lagers in a controlled environment, and tinkering with making starters at lager temp and room temp in an attempt to perfect my process.

Fermenting
: AHS Anniversary IPA
Lagering
: Heineken clone
Next:

Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #20
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Im currently lagering my first lager, with help from the afore mentioned Michigan weather. I pulled a sample when moving to secondary and I gotta tell you it was one of the smoothest and most refreshing beers ive ever had, and its not done or carbed yet! Its definately worth delving into.

Quick Reply