The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is batch sparging better/faster ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #51
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

First off man you are pissing some people off here. Don't ask a question, and then try to belittle people for answering your question. I'm not going to argue about which one is better, that has been said that it is a perefrence. Batch sparge is faster because you don't have to worry about channeling as much as you do with fly. Channeling makes more water to flow through a certain part of the grain bed than an other and when you are trying to extract sugers out of all the grain these will kill your effort. Channeling with fly will kill your efficiency, batch gets around this with stirring. The stirring will also force the new sparge water into the grains and there fore force sugars out. Letting it sit is just there to help settle the grain bed for filtering. When people say easier they mean the same way that all grain is harder than extract. In all grain you just have more things to worry about same holds true in batch vs fly. As for the compacted grain bed I never had any trouble with batch. In this case channeling helps with batch, we drain so fast that channel will occur, these channels will force the husks to the side and not allow a stuck sparge, and since water will find it way to level we don't need to worry about leaving a bunch in the mash tun.

To let you know my next system will be set up to fly so I'm on the fly boat but I see why people batch. And if your system is set up for fly it can also do batch.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant
sause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #52
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,227
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
First off man you are pissing some people off here. Don't ask a question, and then try to belittle people for answering your question.
Sorry for debating the question of batch versus fly ! But some of the replies here are not part of that debate, they are commentary on what people use. That's fine in another post, but in this post I wanted to examine some of the facts regarding the two processes.

People constantly throw around batch is better this and fly is better that and I think this discussion is showing us that it isn't nearly like that. Half the reasons given here are BS.

It isn't about being right or wrong or convincing someone to use something else. Its about getting the facts straight. Understand ?

At one point in time everyone thought fly sparging was THE only way. That was obviously WRONG. What other misconceptions do we have about sparging ?

I'll drop it.
__________________

Getting back into brewing...


Last edited by brewman !; 02-28-2007 at 09:14 PM.
brewman ! is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #53
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,227
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Last comment.

Quote:
but the simple fact that you need to think about things like adding more heat to the HLT
The HLT sits for about the same time whether batch or fly sparging, so this is irrelevant.

Quote:
and treating the water with gypsum
Good idea either way. Read Dave Miller.

Quote:
and making devices out of tinfoil
Take a piece of tinfoil 6x10, for my MLT anyway. Take a pin and poke some holes in it. When you are ready to sparge, lay it on the grain bed. No big deal. At the end of the mash, wash it and put it in the MLT for use next time.

Quote:
means that there is more going on, more stuff to think about. Doesn't make it bad, but I don't see any argument for fly sparging being SIMPLER.
No stirring, no recirculating, nothing. Just add water. How hard is that ?

The REAL issue for me with batch sparging is the quality of the product. I suspect that fly sparging delivers a cleaner wort due to better bed filtering and I wonder about diluting the mash and extracting tannins with batch sparging. But we'll leave those issues undiscussed .

It strikes me as odd that we could have two processes so different as batch and fly sparging and that we would get exactly the same results from both.
__________________

Getting back into brewing...


Last edited by brewman !; 02-28-2007 at 09:17 PM.
brewman ! is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #54
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
Sorry for debating the question of batch versus fly.
That wasn't your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
But people throw around batch is better this and fly is better that and I think this discussion is showing us that it isn't nearly like that. Half the reasons given here are BS.
No all the reasons talked about here have valid points its just that you are to thick skulled to listen to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
It isn't about being right or wrong or convincing someone to use something else. Its about getting the facts straight. Understand ?
WOW!! You might actually gotten something from this 40+ post thread. By the way you are a hypocrite, you were the one blasting holes into batch sparging and then you say this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
At one point in time everyone thought fly sparging was THE only way. That was obviously WRONG. What other misconceptions do we have about sparging ?
Fly was the only way to do it years ago. Batch sparging just came on to the scene within 5 years.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant
sause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #55
Blktre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 61
Default

This thread cracks me up.......There are a few well informed posts here. But for the record, how many of you guys posting on this subject have mastered both techniques? And trying something once or twice isnt mastering. Id be interested in that. Because there are alot of uninformed generic typical forum statements thruout this thread. Things like fly sparging takes more equipment, time, for the same or less eff. Or things like the grainbed needs to be stirred between batch sparges. This stuff sounds like things that have been read and carried over from hearsay w/o any practical experience...

__________________
Blktre is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #56
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Orfy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 11,853
Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

And another thing............


Sorry just thought I'd try and be the last poster before this gets closed.

__________________
GET THE GOBLIN
Have a beer on me.

Last edited by Orfy; 02-28-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Orfy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #57
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 4,013
Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
And another thing............


Sorry just thoughte I'd try and be the last poster before this gets closed.
C'mon orfy, this party's just getting started.
__________________
Lil' Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #58
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktre
This thread cracks me up.......There are a few well informed posts here. But for the record, how many of you guys posting on this subject have mastered both techniques? And trying something once or twice isnt mastering. Id be interested in that. Because there are alot of uninformed generic typical forum statements thruout this thread. Things like fly sparging takes more equipment, time, for the same or less eff. Or things like the grainbed needs to be stirred between batch sparges. This stuff sounds like things that have been read and carried over from hearsay w/o any practical experience...
That some have not mastered (IYO) and found a method that they find to be easy and fast, should those people not have an opinion?

Rhetorical.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #59
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Full disclosure:

I've done neither, but I can see argument for argument sake here.

__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #60
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,618
Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktre
This thread cracks me up.......There are a few well informed posts here. But for the record, how many of you guys posting on this subject have mastered both techniques? And trying something once or twice isnt mastering. Id be interested in that. Because there are alot of uninformed generic typical forum statements thruout this thread. Things like fly sparging takes more equipment, time, for the same or less eff. Or things like the grainbed needs to be stirred between batch sparges. This stuff sounds like things that have been read and carried over from hearsay w/o any practical experience...
Yep, I have to agree.

After reading this entire post, I still don't see many clear reasons why batch sparging is necessarily better than fly sparging. I am actually starting to question some of these things that I assumed were true from reading books. I think what would help best is to hear from people that have first-hand experience with BOTH techniques. It is really hard to provide a good answer to this question based on only knowing one or the other. Can some of the more senior brewers on this site who are more likely to have experience with both methods chime in???
__________________
Cheap 10 gal cooler MLT$3 AutosiphonAluminum Pot FAQEasy Steam Injection Mash SystemMake a Frozen Yeast Bank
Improving Stovetop Boiling Improving AG Efficiency
FlyGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smaller batch ferment faster? youngbrewmen Cider Forum 6 10-22-2009 01:50 PM
When batch sparging....... NTOLERANCE All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-20-2009 02:03 AM
Batch Sparging modenacart All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 01-12-2009 01:38 AM
Fly Sparging Vs. Batch Sparging New2HomeBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 08-08-2007 05:25 PM
Want to try Batch Sparging, Have Only Used Fly drayman86 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-06-2007 02:31 AM