The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is batch sparging better/faster ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #51
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

First off man you are pissing some people off here. Don't ask a question, and then try to belittle people for answering your question. I'm not going to argue about which one is better, that has been said that it is a perefrence. Batch sparge is faster because you don't have to worry about channeling as much as you do with fly. Channeling makes more water to flow through a certain part of the grain bed than an other and when you are trying to extract sugers out of all the grain these will kill your effort. Channeling with fly will kill your efficiency, batch gets around this with stirring. The stirring will also force the new sparge water into the grains and there fore force sugars out. Letting it sit is just there to help settle the grain bed for filtering. When people say easier they mean the same way that all grain is harder than extract. In all grain you just have more things to worry about same holds true in batch vs fly. As for the compacted grain bed I never had any trouble with batch. In this case channeling helps with batch, we drain so fast that channel will occur, these channels will force the husks to the side and not allow a stuck sparge, and since water will find it way to level we don't need to worry about leaving a bunch in the mash tun.

To let you know my next system will be set up to fly so I'm on the fly boat but I see why people batch. And if your system is set up for fly it can also do batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #52
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
First off man you are pissing some people off here. Don't ask a question, and then try to belittle people for answering your question.
Sorry for debating the question of batch versus fly ! But some of the replies here are not part of that debate, they are commentary on what people use. That's fine in another post, but in this post I wanted to examine some of the facts regarding the two processes.

People constantly throw around batch is better this and fly is better that and I think this discussion is showing us that it isn't nearly like that. Half the reasons given here are BS.

It isn't about being right or wrong or convincing someone to use something else. Its about getting the facts straight. Understand ?

At one point in time everyone thought fly sparging was THE only way. That was obviously WRONG. What other misconceptions do we have about sparging ?

I'll drop it.

Getting back into brewing...

Last edited by brewman !; 02-28-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #53
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Last comment.

Quote:
but the simple fact that you need to think about things like adding more heat to the HLT
The HLT sits for about the same time whether batch or fly sparging, so this is irrelevant.

Quote:
and treating the water with gypsum
Good idea either way. Read Dave Miller.

Quote:
and making devices out of tinfoil
Take a piece of tinfoil 6x10, for my MLT anyway. Take a pin and poke some holes in it. When you are ready to sparge, lay it on the grain bed. No big deal. At the end of the mash, wash it and put it in the MLT for use next time.

Quote:
means that there is more going on, more stuff to think about. Doesn't make it bad, but I don't see any argument for fly sparging being SIMPLER.
No stirring, no recirculating, nothing. Just add water. How hard is that ?

The REAL issue for me with batch sparging is the quality of the product. I suspect that fly sparging delivers a cleaner wort due to better bed filtering and I wonder about diluting the mash and extracting tannins with batch sparging. But we'll leave those issues undiscussed .

It strikes me as odd that we could have two processes so different as batch and fly sparging and that we would get exactly the same results from both.

Getting back into brewing...

Last edited by brewman !; 02-28-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #54
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
Sorry for debating the question of batch versus fly.
That wasn't your question.

Quote:
But people throw around batch is better this and fly is better that and I think this discussion is showing us that it isn't nearly like that. Half the reasons given here are BS.
No all the reasons talked about here have valid points its just that you are to thick skulled to listen to them.

Quote:
It isn't about being right or wrong or convincing someone to use something else. Its about getting the facts straight. Understand ?
WOW!! You might actually gotten something from this 40+ post thread. By the way you are a hypocrite, you were the one blasting holes into batch sparging and then you say this?

Quote:
At one point in time everyone thought fly sparging was THE only way. That was obviously WRONG. What other misconceptions do we have about sparging ?
Fly was the only way to do it years ago. Batch sparging just came on to the scene within 5 years.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #55
Blktre
Recipes 

This thread cracks me up.......There are a few well informed posts here. But for the record, how many of you guys posting on this subject have mastered both techniques? And trying something once or twice isnt mastering. Id be interested in that. Because there are alot of uninformed generic typical forum statements thruout this thread. Things like fly sparging takes more equipment, time, for the same or less eff. Or things like the grainbed needs to be stirred between batch sparges. This stuff sounds like things that have been read and carried over from hearsay w/o any practical experience...

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #56
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

And another thing............

Sorry just thought I'd try and be the last poster before this gets closed.

Last edited by Orfy; 02-28-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #57
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
And another thing............

Sorry just thoughte I'd try and be the last poster before this gets closed.
C'mon orfy, this party's just getting started.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #58
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktre
This thread cracks me up.......There are a few well informed posts here. But for the record, how many of you guys posting on this subject have mastered both techniques? And trying something once or twice isnt mastering. Id be interested in that. Because there are alot of uninformed generic typical forum statements thruout this thread. Things like fly sparging takes more equipment, time, for the same or less eff. Or things like the grainbed needs to be stirred between batch sparges. This stuff sounds like things that have been read and carried over from hearsay w/o any practical experience...
That some have not mastered (IYO) and found a method that they find to be easy and fast, should those people not have an opinion?

Rhetorical.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #59
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Full disclosure:

I've done neither, but I can see argument for argument sake here.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #60
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktre
Yep, I have to agree.

After reading this entire post, I still don't see many clear reasons why batch sparging is necessarily better than fly sparging. I am actually starting to question some of these things that I assumed were true from reading books. I think what would help best is to hear from people that have first-hand experience with BOTH techniques. It is really hard to provide a good answer to this question based on only knowing one or the other. Can some of the more senior brewers on this site who are more likely to have experience with both methods chime in???

Quick Reply